Crime

Man denied bond in Conway armed robbery, attempted murder


Michael James Stenger
Michael James Stenger

A 19-year-old charged man with armed robbery and attempted murder was denied bond Thursday after police say he shot a 35-year-old store clerk.

Michael James Stenger, 19, of Murrells Inlet, was arrested around 1 p.m. Wednesday and charged with two counts of armed robbery and one count of attempted murder, Denis said.

Stenger was denied bond on two armed robbery counts, according to jail records. He must go before a circuit judge for bond on the attempted murder charge. He is currently being held at J. Reuben Long Detention Center.

Police responded about 2:16 a.m. Wednesday to the Scotchman convenience store at 531 S.C. 544, after getting a hold panic alarm from the store location, Denis said.

Officers found the store clerk suffering from gunshot wounds when they arrived, and a 27-year-old customer had been allegedly robbed at gunpoint, but not shot, police said.

The clerk was taken to the hospital, but his condition was “unknown” as of 3:40 p.m. Wednesday, Denis said.

Police said the robber allegedly took cash from the register and the clerk’s cellphone and wallet.

The 27-year-old customer told police that he pulled up to the store in his car as the robbery inside the store was ending, according to an incident report.

The 27-year-old victim said the alleged robber approached his car while he was still inside, brandished a gun and forced him to hand over his wallet and cellphone, authorities said.

Horry County police officers, detectives and agents from the fugitive task force took Stenger into custody Wednesday, Denis said

This story was originally published April 23, 2015 at 5:29 PM with the headline "Man denied bond in Conway armed robbery, attempted murder."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER