Crime

Conway man charged with murder in shooting death

A 21-year-old Conway man was arrest Monday in connection with the shooting death of a 22-year-old man.

Ces’Swaun Lamar Simmons was booked into the J. Reuben Long Detention Center Monday afternoon and is being charged with murder, according to Krystal Dotson, Horry County police spokeswoman.

Ces’Swaun Lamar Simmons
Ces’Swaun Lamar Simmons

The charge stems from a shooting reported Dec. 3 on the 1700 block of Willow Road in the Conway area, near S.C. 544, involving the death of Jahi Mishoe of Conway, authorities said.

Officers arrived about 1:30 a.m. that night and talked to a 50-year-old man, who said he got a telephone call about a shooting before he and a friend went to see what happened.

When he got there, he found Mishoe on the ground and called 911. Crime scene tape was put up at the home and an investigation was launched, according to a previously released police report.

The Sun News spoke with Thomas Johnson, Mishoe’s stepfather, the day after the incident, and he said Mishoe was a “loveable guy” who had recently become a father.

“He was just trying to get himself together. His little baby, I know that really changed him for the better,” he said.

Johnson said Mishoe spent time studying electrical engineering at the South Carolina State University and worked for manufacturing company.

Simmons remained at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center Tuesday.

This story was originally published December 19, 2017 at 11:17 AM with the headline "Conway man charged with murder in shooting death."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER