Crime

Myrtle Beach police: man used machete in robbery attempt

Myrtle Beach police are searching for men who were involved in an attempted armed robbery after one of the men pulled out a machete, threatening two others.

Officers were called about 11:30 p.m. to a parking lot at Flagg Street and First Avenue where an 18-year-old victim and a witness reported the incident, according to a police report.

The victim and the witness told police they parked their mopeds in the parking area there and were approached by a man who started talking to them, police said.

The victim said that while they were talking to the man, three other men walked up to them. One of the men pulled out a machete, and the victim and witness said they tried to escape. The victim said his moped fell over and was damaged while he was trying to get away, authorities said.

The men all ran from the scene when the victim and witness started yelling for police, according to the report.

No arrests had been made as of Wednesday morning. Please check back for story updates.

Contact ELIZABETH TOWNSEND at 626-0217 or on Twitter @TSN_etownsend.

This story was originally published April 8, 2015 at 11:39 AM with the headline "Myrtle Beach police: man used machete in robbery attempt."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER