Conway man charged in taxi cab slaying
Conway police have charged 18-year-old Lloyd Edward Pertelle, III, of Conway with accessory after the fact to felony murder for a shooting that killed a taxi cab driver on Dillon Street Monday.
Fifty-four-year-old David John Bennett of Conway was shot in his cab early Monday morning, according to information from the Conway Police Department and Horry County Coroner’s Office.
Deputy Coroner Tony Hendrick said Bennett died of a single gunshot wound to the chest while behind the wheel of his cab on Dillon Street.
A woman in that area previously told The Sun News that she saw a man in a black hoodie standing outside her home Monday morning. The man said he was waiting for a taxi, Jalisa Matthews said.
Matthews said she later discovered Bennett after he had been shot but shortly before he died.
The investigation is ongoing and anyone with any information in this case is asked to contact the Conway Police Department at 843-248-1790 or Crime Stoppers of the Low Country at 1-888-CRIME-SC (274-6372).
This story was originally published November 23, 2016 at 12:45 PM with the headline "Conway man charged in taxi cab slaying."