Smoke and water damage stained the windows of the Wacky T’s shop Wednesday afternoon on Ocean Boulevard where fire investigators say a T-shirt press left on overnight may have sparked a fire.
“As of right now our preliminary findings (show) a T-shirt press was left on,” said Lt. Christian Sliker of the Myrtle Beach Fire Department. But he said the fire is still under investigation.
No charges have been filed against two men spotted in surveillance footage leaving the area around the time the fire was reported early Wednesday morning. Police used surveillance cameras throughout the city to track and locate the two men in a traffic stop a short time later.
Myrtle Beach police and fire crews were called to 1001 N. Ocean Blvd. around 1 a.m. in reference to a fire in a building that houses several businesses.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News
Officials said the blaze started inside the Wacky T’s T-shirt shop and firefighters had to enter the Nightmare Haunted House next door to extinguish the fire, according to our news partner, WPDE.
One firefighter was transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation and was released a short time later, Sliker said.
Myrtle Beach police reviewed camera footage in the area and spotted two men running southbound towards the intersection of Mr. Joe White Avenue and Withers Alley around the time of the fire.
Surveillance footage showed the men getting into a silver sedan and leaving the area traveling northbound on Ocean Boulevard, according to an incident report. An officer spotted the vehicle a short time later and identified the men in a traffic stop. The men were not taken into custody.