The Sun News received 27 awards Saturday night at the annual South Carolina Press Association meeting in Columbia, including honors for general excellence, public service and flood coverage.
Journalists from across the state gathered at The Marriott to celebrate their winnings. The Sun News was awarded second place in the general excellence category for daily newspapers with a circulation between 16,000 and 45,000. In that same division, the newspaper received a second place award in the public service category for its coverage of Memorial Day weekend’s Atlantic Beach Bikefest, another second place prize for the staff’s use of social media and a third place award for its website, MyrtleBeachOnline.com.
The newspaper also received third place honors for its flood coverage in a contest that was open to all of the state’s daily newspapers.
“I am very proud of the journalists we have at The Sun News. They are a talented team committed to providing excellent content across multiple platforms that is important to our community,” said Mark Webster, president and publisher of The Sun News. “They impress me every day with their dedication, and I am happy they are receiving this recognition from their peers. We are fortunate to have such a talented group.”
Individual journalists won these honors:
▪ Reporter Charles Perry won first place for breaking news reporting, profile feature writing, lifestyle feature writing and business reporting; second place for feature writing; and third place for beat reporting.
▪ Multimedia journalist Jason Lee won first place for online photo gallery; second place for online photo gallery, feature video and sports video; and third place for news video.
▪ Reporter Ryan Young won first place for sports feature story; second place for sports enterprise story; and third place for sports beat reporting.
▪ Multimedia journalist Janet Blackmon Morgan won second place for humorous photo; and third place for feature photo and photo series-photo story.
▪ Reporter Claire Byun won third place for profile feature writing.
▪ Digital editor Jeff Nowak won third place for single feature page design.
▪ Reporter Alan Blondin and former reporter Steve Jones won third place for a series of news articles.
▪ Former columnist Issac Bailey received honorable mentions for investigative reporting and column writing.