Local

Myrtle Beach Fire Department teaming up with American Red Cross for smoke alarm giveaway

Myrtle Beach Fire Department and American Red Cross officials will be visiting homes Monday in Patrick Mobile Home Park teaching fire safety and installing free smoke alarms.

The “smoke alarm blitz” will happen from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday in the Patrick Mobile Home Park along Highway 15. Anyone who needs a free smoke detector in that area will be eligible as long as supplies last, but must be at home during the giveaway, according to a press release.

The MBFD and American Red Cross are teaming up to visit homes door-to-door as part of their Home Fire Campaign and will meet with families to test and install smoke alarms and create home fire escape plans, officials said.

The event is one of 10 smoke alarm blitzes across the state in recognition of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service, officials said.

Shortly before Christmas, lives were saved by a smoke alarm installed in last year’s blitz that took place in the Racepath Community.

On Dec. 20, a woman woke up to the smoke alarm’s screeching and got her three small children and brother out of the home, which was completely lost in the blaze. Back in September, occupants of another Racepath Community home made it out to safety after their smoke alarm warned them.

South Carolina ranks within the top 10 states for home fire deaths per capita each year, and 7,100 more people — mainly home fire victims — are assisted by the American Red Cross.

Elizabeth Townsend: 843-626-0217, @TSN_etownsend

This story was originally published January 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM with the headline "Myrtle Beach Fire Department teaming up with American Red Cross for smoke alarm giveaway."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER