Local

Myrtle Beach business owners OK with Bikefest security plans

Atlantic Beach's Memorial Day weekend Bikefest is just four months away, and the planning is already under way.

"I think last year worked out great," said Victor Shamah, owner of The Bowery in Myrtle Beach.

Shamah and some other business owners along Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach are pleased with the safety success of last year's Atlantic Beach Bikefest.

"In terms of the way it was patrolled and operated, I think the police force did an excellent job last year controlling everything," said Daniel Becker, general manager of Art Burger and Sushi.

"We took a little bit of control back from the crowds and the people," added Shamah.

That's simply what city officials wanted when they first implemented last year's security measures.

Those measures included barricades along the sidewalks of Ocean Boulevard and a 23-mile traffic loop.

"I know the loop caused a little bit of a backup, but it was much worse without the loop where everybody is starting to make it a street party," explained Shamah.

The Bikefest Task Force announced Thursday both the barricades and the traffic loop will be back this year.

For more on this story, visit our partner WPDE.

This story was originally published January 15, 2016 at 8:48 AM with the headline "Myrtle Beach business owners OK with Bikefest security plans."

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER