Local

Bomb threat reported at Seacoast Medical Park caused by man with PTSD

Employees were evacuated from the building around 2 p.m. and let back into their cars around 3:40 p.m.
Employees were evacuated from the building around 2 p.m. and let back into their cars around 3:40 p.m. cbyun@thesunnews.com

A 27-year-old man suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder caused a bomb threat, which was later declared unfounded, on Monday afternoon at Seacoast Medical Park, and no charges will be filed against the man, who was later placed into protective custody.

Horry County police responded at 1:26 p.m. to Seacoast Medical Park at 3980 E. S.C. 9 in Little River after being called in reference to a psychiatric person, according to a police report.

The man went to the hospital and told doctors he was suffering from PTSD, claimed to have put a bomb inside a wooden case that he brought to the doctor’s office with him then put down on a chair in the lobby and added that a bomb may also have been in his vehicle in the parking lot, authorities said.

Seacoast officials evacuated the building, and bomb technicians from HCPD, State Law Enforcement Division and Department of Health Services responded, police said.

Authorities searched the building and the man’s car and deemed the area safe after about three hours.

Police learned the man spent four years of active duty in the U.S. Marine Corps and was deployed to Afghanistan several times. He usually takes medication for PTSD, but failed to do so Monday, authorities said.

The man later told police the package he brought inside the medical center was an easel that was given to him by a former girlfriend. He also told officers he had trouble sleeping and hadn’t slept in 72 hours.

The man was deemed a danger to himself and others, taken into emergency protective custody and transported to Conway Medical Center for evaluation.

Horry County police learned the man had been to CMC earlier that day for treatment; however, he walked out of the hospital before staff could treat him, police said.

This story was originally published January 11, 2016 at 3:34 PM with the headline "Bomb threat reported at Seacoast Medical Park caused by man with PTSD."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER