Local

Federal funding identified for Grand Strand beach renourishment in 2016 spending bill

King tides and record rains washed through the dunes in Cherry Grove Beach in October.
King tides and record rains washed through the dunes in Cherry Grove Beach in October. jlee@thesunnews.com

Tucked inside the spending bill Congress passed Friday is a pot of new funding for beach restoration projects, which means the money is there for the Myrtle Beach area but local officials will have to compete nationally with other beach communities to win financing for the Grand Strand’s damaged dunes and sand swept away by the October storm.

The Army Corps of Engineers will get $64 million in additional funding, bringing the total to $350 million for beach renourishment and flood prevention projects nationwide for the 2016 fiscal year, due in part to the efforts of U.S. Rep. Tom Rice who lobbied House appropriators for the funding.

“Congress can’t specify projects for funding, that’s up to the agency, but we made sure they had enough money to deal with renourishment,” said Rice, the Republican who represents the 7th congressional district that includes Myrtle Beach.

The money is a God-send ...

Pat Dowling

North Myrtle Beach spokesman

Because congressional earmarks are no longer permissible in appropriation bills, Rice said his office will now have to lobby the corps to convince the federal agency that beach renourishment funding is critical to the economy of South Carolina.

Tons of sand was washed away from the 25-mile strip of Grand Strand beaches during October’s record-setting rains, king tides and the passing of Hurricane Joaquin along the South Carolina coast.

“The money is a God-send and we thank everyone for their hard work because it does matter,” said Pat Dowling, spokesman for North Myrtle Beach.

Horry County, Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach were ready to write off any assistance from Washington in the 2016 spending bill that had become mired in national politics and delayed since September. Instead, local officials had already begun the process of applying for funding for the beach’s regularly scheduled renourishment project in 2018.

But with the announcement Friday of the new source of available money, Horry County spokeswoman Kelly Brosky said they will instead be collaborating with the cities to apply for that funding in the hopes of beginning renourishment in 2016.

“We definitely thank Congressman Tom Rice for leading the way on this,” Myrtle Beach spokesman Mark Kruea said. “The beaches of the Grand Strand are a great natural resource. They provide enjoyment to many and support one of South Carolina’s largest revenue sources -- tourism.

Brad Dean, president of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, said there is no guarantee that the money appropriated by Congress will find its way to the Grand Strand, “but we’re in a better position today than we were two months ago.”

“It’s one thing to have money in the budget, it’s another for it to be issued by the Corps of Engineers,” Dean said. “While the federal investment is significant and necessary, a collaborative effort with the government for matching funds and coordinated services is every bit as important, and Tom has done an exceptional job quarterbacking that.”

This story was originally published December 18, 2015 at 5:49 PM with the headline "Federal funding identified for Grand Strand beach renourishment in 2016 spending bill."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER