FEMA approves Horry County hazard plan, but grant money following flood uncertain
When floodwaters swept through Horry County in October, county officials were in the final stages of updating their hazard mitigation plan.
“The plan worked,” Horry County Councilman Johnny Vaught told public safety officials during a committee meeting Monday. “Y’all did a great job with it.”
The Federal Emergency Management Agency apparently agreed because FEMA approved the county’s plan this month. Local officials say that in addition to making them better prepared, the document, which spans more than 350 pages, will allow them to pursue additional federal grants.
“The state will be getting hazard mitigation grant funding probably in the beginning of the year, and that will make us eligible, by participating, to apply for any grant funding that we might see,” said Ashley Carroll, the county’s mitigation and operations program manager.
The Horry plan was approved five years ago, but the county must complete an update by January to maintain eligibility for federal mitigation funding. The document looks at the local government’s preparedness for flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, storm surge, wildfires and other disasters. The county’s updates include the most recent map and statistical data, as well as officials’ goals.
Randy Webster, the county’s emergency management director, said the FEMA grant program has helped the Grand Strand in past disasters. During Hurricane Floyd’s flooding in 1999, water invaded Conway’s low-lying sewer pump stations, wreaking havoc on the system. FEMA grants paid to elevate those stations and they worked well during the recent flood.
“They were able to keep service flowing,” Webster said.
The one challenge for the county is that mitigation grants are distributed on a competitive basis and other South Carolina counties will be seeking money, too. When an ice storm caused millions of dollars in damage last year, the county applied for FEMA money to purchase generators but didn’t receive any.
“Without the approved plan, you’re not eligible,” Webster said. “Whether you get them or not is a different story.”
Apart from the mitigation grants, the county does qualify for other federal assistance, including money to cover the overtime of county employees who worked during the flood and funding to repair damaged roads, bridges and buildings. Individuals affected by the flood can also apply for assistance through Jan. 3 by calling 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585.
Regardless of whether the county receives any mitigation grants, officials maintain this fall’s flood better prepared them for the next challenge.
“It’s always interesting when you go through an event,” Carroll said. “We looked through several of our other plans as well. You can make tweaks. It helps to see how things work and don’t work. It’s an evolving process.”
Charles D. Perry: 843-626-0218, @TSN_CharlesPerr
This story was originally published December 15, 2015 at 10:51 AM with the headline "FEMA approves Horry County hazard plan, but grant money following flood uncertain."