Local

Funds raised for Baby Grace’s permanent headstone

Proposed headstone for Baby Grace. Enough funds have been raised, and the headstone has been ordered.
Proposed headstone for Baby Grace. Enough funds have been raised, and the headstone has been ordered. - Photo courtesy of Hillcrest Cemetery

Enough money has been raised to cover the cost of a permanent headstone for Baby Grace, who was lost in a rushing Socastee creek by her mother and was laid to rest at Hillcrest Cemetery about three weeks ago.

“Everyone has helped so much,” Stephanie Smith, Hillcrest Cemetery administrative assistant, said of the community’s generosity.

The 5-month-old who was lost in the creek Nov. 3 by mother Sarah Toney, 33, of Myrtle Beach has a temporary grave marker in place, but a permanent headstone was needed as the current one won’t hold up in the elements, cemetery officials said.

A week ago, the cemetery had raised $700 of the $2,150 needed for the marker, but over the weekend a private business owner gave $1,000, and another business owner agreed to pay the remaining total, Smith said.

The stone, which had already been designed, has been ordered and is expected to arrive Jan. 6, but a rush has been put on the order, so cemetery workers are hoping to have it sooner, Smith said.

Grace Carlson Santa Cruz was the last baby to be laid to rest in Hillcrest Cemetery’s infant section. Toney has been charged with homicide by child abuse in the infant’s death and is being jailed at J. Reuben Long Detention Center.

Elizabeth Townsend: 843-626-0217, @TSN_etownsend

This story was originally published December 10, 2015 at 10:05 AM with the headline "Funds raised for Baby Grace’s permanent headstone."

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER