Myrtle Beach firefighters battled a vehicle fire after a blaze ignited inside a garbage truck near Mr. Joe White and Seaboard Street, authorities said.
Firefighters were called about 1 p.m. Friday, along with Myrtle Beach police who helped divert traffic in the area while the truck was moved, according to Battalion Chief Bruce Arnel with Myrtle Beach Fire Department.
Arnel suspects a cigarette that wasn’t properly extinguished was the culprit behind the blaze that started with cardboard burning in the back of a Waste Industries truck.
The truck was moved to a safe location away from buildings while firefighters worked to put out the fire.
The City of Myrtle Beach offered to take the remnants of the garbage the truck has carrying and properly depose of it, Arnel said.