Local

Paralyzed man’s death investigated by Myrtle Beach Police. He attended Solid Rock Church

Chris Skinner’s 2021 death is being investigated by the Myrtle Beach Police after new evidence has surfaced in 2025. The paralyzed man drowned in a neighborhood pool in The Market Common.
Chris Skinner’s 2021 death is being investigated by the Myrtle Beach Police after new evidence has surfaced in 2025. The paralyzed man drowned in a neighborhood pool in The Market Common. ahchen@mcclatchy.com

The death of a Myrtle Beach man who drowned in a neighborhood pool in The Market Common in 2021 is being investigated after new evidence has surfaced.

It appears that some of that evidence relates to circumstances surrounding his death. The man was also connected to Myrtle Beach Pastor John-Paul Miller, who currently faces many accusations regarding his estranged wife, Mica Miller.

Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard said in an email Friday that the coroner’s office and Myrtle Beach Police have been contacted with “new evidence regarding the manner of death” in the case of Christopher Skinner.

Myrtle Beach Police spokesperson Randolph Angotti said he could not provide a statement regarding Skinner.

Skinner, who was paralyzed and often spoke about overcoming adversity, including writing a book about his hardships and triumphs, died Sept. 6, 2021, after being found unresponsive in his Emmens Preserve neighborhood pool.

His death at the time was ruled an accident.

The 40-year-old had been paralyzed from the neck down since he was 20, when a car crash involving a drunk driver severed his spinal cord.

Skinner apparently attended Solid Rock Church, which John-Paul Miller pastored before closing it in November and then opening a new congregation, Mercy Church.

Mica Miller, John-Paul Miller’s estranged wife, killed herself in a North Carolina state park in April 2024. After her death, her family alleged John-Paul Miller abused her, which he had denied.

The FBI searched John-Paul Miller’s home in November, although why is unknown. The Sun News has not received requested documents related to the search.

Willard said in the email that additional information on the case may not come from the coroner’s office.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER