Local

Hundreds of homes are planned for North Myrtle Beach. What to know about the development

The Preserve is a North Myrtle Beach, SC, development with more than 600 multi-family and built-to-rent homes planned. The City of North Myrtle Beach approved the first plan originally in 2022, which included more than 800 units.
The Preserve is a North Myrtle Beach, SC, development with more than 600 multi-family and built-to-rent homes planned. The City of North Myrtle Beach approved the first plan originally in 2022, which included more than 800 units. The Sun News

Developers plan to build more than 600 new multi-family and built-to-rent homes in the North Myrtle Beach area, although the plan could be scaled back.

The project seeks to revisit The Preserve, a planned community along Carolina Bays Parkway that the City of North Myrtle Beach approved in 2022 to build 826 residential units. The amended plan removes a 10,000-square-foot commercial space.

In an interview with The Sun News, City of North Myrtle Beach Assistant Director of Planning and Development Suzanne Pritchard said the developer wanted to change the plan to subdivide the tract into individual properties.

“The biggest issue for them in this point would be, they are trying to subdivide,” Pritchard. “They’re creating these right of way so that they can subdivide the property so that each house is on land that it owns.”

The new development plan submitted to the City of North Myrtle Beach calls for 613 dwelling units consisting of multi-family homes, built-to-rent properties and townhomes. The project received approval on the first reading at North Myrtle Beach’s Feb. 17, 2025, City Council meeting.

Josh Hughes, a developer with the project, did not return a request for comment.

A City of North Myrtle Beach spokesperson told The Sun News that the amended new plan needs to pass on a second reading before receiving final approval. The number of planned homes could shrink more in the future, Pritchard said

In theory, the developer could move forward with the original plan for the project since it received final approval, Pritchard said. However, she added that the developers’ desire to subdivide means the community needs to increase the width of roads and driveways to meet city requirements, which could lead to the removal of more units.

“I do not know what number would be approvable at this point, but we’re working on that,” Pritchard said.

She added that circumstances in the area changed since the original The Preserve plan received approval in 2022.

“You have more residents living out there and more homes going in,” Pritchard said. “Everybody just becomes more sensitive to the place and what the community wants. So, I guess that’s probably why it’s all being renegotiated.”

Ben Morse
The Sun News
Ben Morse is the Retail and Leisure Reporter for The Sun News. Morse covers local business and Coastal Carolina University football and was awarded third place in the 2023 South Carolina Press Association News Contest for sports beat reporting and second place for sports video in the all-daily division. Morse previously worked for The Island Packet, covering local government. Morse graduated from American University in 2023 with a Bachelor’s Degree in journalism and economics and is originally from Prospect, Kentucky.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER