Local

FBI and SLED officers at home of a former Horry County Council member. Here’s what we know

Former Horry County Councilman Orton Bellamy. The Sun News File 2021.
Former Horry County Councilman Orton Bellamy. The Sun News File 2021. jlee@thesunnews

FBI and South Carolina Law Enforcement Division members were at the home of a former Horry County Council member and Atlantic Beach interim city manager.

Orton Bellamy, who lives along 13th Avenue in Conway, had FBI members conducting “court authorized activity” Thursday at his home, said FBI Spokesman Kevin Wheeler in a text to The Sun News.

There is no public safety threat but Wheeler could not share additional information.

It’s unclear why the FBI is at Bellamy’s house. As of 10:25 a.m., the officers were still at the Conway house, Wheeler said. However, by 11:15 a.m., the officers were gone.

Bellamy did not respond to a request to comment from The Sun News.

Wheeler confirmed that SLED was assisting the FBI in the search of the home.

Bellamy won a seat on the Horry County Council in 2018, but lost his re-election bid in 2022, The Sun News previously reported.

Bellamy took over as Atlantic Beach interim city manager after Benjamin Quattlebaum stepped down in the spring of 2024, said John David Jr. Bellamy was then ousted from the position in November 2024 after David and Carla Taylor took over on the town council.

Atlantic Beach has dealt with political turmoil since Mayor Jake Evans fired the election commission days after the 2023 election. This left the town unable to certify 18 votes and determine if Josephine Isom or David would be the next mayor.

David is now acting as the mayor pro tempore until the election is decided.

Despite several meetings held to resolve the issue, the mayoral votes have still not been certified over a year later and the town does not know who won.

There were also issues with David and Taylor taking their seats of council members, David previously told The Sun News.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

This story was originally published January 30, 2025 at 10:56 AM.

Emalyn Muzzy
The Sun News
Emalyn Muzzy is the retail and leisure reporter for The Sun News. She started as a breaking news reporter in Myrtle Beach before switching to the business beat. She graduated from the University of Minnesota is 2022 with a degree in journalism and Spanish.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER