Local

‘Bring us some money:’ Myrtle Beach leaders split on state aid for convention center

Gov. Henry McMaster toured the Myrtle Beach Convention Center with Mayor Brenda Bethune on March 2, 2021.
Gov. Henry McMaster toured the Myrtle Beach Convention Center with Mayor Brenda Bethune on March 2, 2021. galbert@thesunnews.com

Myrtle Beach leaders have budgeted $800,000 for upgrades to its convention center the next year, but city leaders are split about whether state aid should be used to help cover some of that cost.

It’s not unheard of for that to occur. Last year, the General Assembly initially earmarked $9 million for a planned expansion of Columbia’s convention center. That money ended up being redistributed as the plan fell apart.

Read Next

Gov. Henry McMaster in 2021 also recommended using $19 million to develop a downtown conference center in Greenville.

But injecting state money into Myrtle Beach’s facility could make it difficult if city leaders ever consider divesting from their own.

There aren’t any plans to offload the downtown Oak Street venue — one of the largest in the southeast and a major contributor for downtown tourism and commerce — but City Manager Fox Simons suggested the council ask lawmakers to help pay for atrium and lobby upgrades.

“Personally, I feel that the state government should not be funding things such as a convention center. Furthermore, if there’s any future interest by the council in selling the convention center, I think that state dollars being put into a public building to sell to a potential private entity would muddy that water greatly,” City Council member John Krajc said Dec. 13.

The city has more than $62 million worth of funding for capital projects from revenues collected via fees, taxes and bonds.

“The Myrtle Beach Convention Center attracts an estimated 750,000 visitors annually and is a major economic impact driver in the state and region,” he wrote in a resolution.

The roughly 250,000-square-foot facility is managed by the Myrtle Beach Downtown Redevelopment Corporation, whose members are appointed by the council.

With a billion-dollar state budget surplus, council member Michael Chestnut suggested tapping into the windfall.

It’s an asset to our city,” he said. “Millions of people come each year to the convention center and what helps Myrtle Beach helps our state. If you can help us improve it, bring us some money,” he said.

This story was originally published December 15, 2022 at 8:00 AM.

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER