Local

Horry will soon have new restrictions on fireworks. What you need to know for summer ’22

Horry County could soon have new fireworks-free zones, after county leaders gave unanimous initial approval to new legislation Tuesday.

Tuesday’s vote paves the way for the ordinance to win a final approval in early April, just ahead of the Grand Strand’s tourist season.

The fireworks-free zones would be created by county council members on an individual basis.

The zones would be created like this: If, for example, a resident or community group wishes to ban fireworks in a certain area, they would contact their council member. The council member would then meet with the residents, draw boundary lines for a fireworks-free zone and send a resolution through the county’s legislative process.

If the council passes the resolution, the county would create a fireworks-free zone.

The ban would be limited to fireworks that launch in the air, like those used for fireworks displays. Sparklers, noise-makers and other fireworks that remain on the ground will still be allowed in the fireworks-free zones.

The county and Myrtle Beach already ban fireworks on public beaches. The new ordinance would restrict fireworks farther inland.

Council members have said they’re pursuing the ban in response to complaints from residents.

But, rather than dispatching police officers to every instance of fireworks — something Chief Joe Hill has said his department doesn’t have the capacity to do — the county opted for the fireworks-free zones.

Residents who are caught igniting fireworks in fireworks-free zones could be subject to fines up to $200.

County council member Dennis DiSabato, who represents Carolina Forest, said Tuesday that his district could include fireworks-free zones in the near future.

“I’ve got a lot of people in Carolina Forest asking if we could be included in this ban,” he said ahead of Tuesday’s vote.

J. Dale Shoemaker
The Sun News
J. Dale Shoemaker covers Horry County government with a focus on government transparency, data and how the county government serves residents. A 2016 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, he previously covered Pittsburgh city government for the nonprofit news outlet PublicSource and worked on the Data & Investigations team at nj.com in New Jersey. A recipient of several local and statewide awards, both the Press Club of Western Pennsylvania and the Society of Professional Journalists, Keystone State chapter, recognized him in 2019 for his investigation into a problematic Pittsburgh Police technology contractor, a series that lead the Pittsburgh City Council to enact a new transparency law for city contracting. You can share tips with Dale at dshoemaker@thesunnews.com.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER