Man injured by falling debris at 25-story construction project in Myrtle Beach files suit
A man injured by falling debris at a 25-story construction site along Myrtle Beach’s Ocean Boulevard says he will require extensive medical treatment.
Timothy Duarte filed a civil suit in Horry County civil court last week against BMW Rebar Company, Landmark Builders of SC, LaborQuick Constructions Staffing and several other companies.
In March 2018, a BMW Rebar worker used a large crane to hoist a piece of a reinforcement bar to the top of the 25-story building, according to the suit. Duarte was working at an elevator platform at the 1600 N. Ocean Blvd. job site.
The rebar broke as it was lifted towards the top of the building and fell on the elevator platform. The debris hit Duarte in the head and body, the suit states.
Duarte said his injuries required “significant medical treatment” and will require ongoing care, according to the filing.
The lawsuit states the companies had a responsibility to provide a safe environment. The companies were negligent as they failed to safeguard the area and safely operate the crane, according to the filing. Duarte asks for an unspecified amount of money in the lawsuit.
A BMW Rebar official declined to comment on Monday.