Local

Conway City Council looks to help downtown restaurants reopen for outdoor service

The City of Conway is doing what it can to help restaurants recover from coronavirus emergency closures.

City Council instructed City Manager Adam Emrick to work with restaurants and make sure city regulations don’t needlessly stop businesses from serving customers outdoors.

“We are all excited to get our city up and running,” Council Member Justin Jordan said. “Anything we can do to help, we will try to.”

S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster allowed restaurants to serve customers outdoors beginning Monday, the first time they could offer any on-site service since earlier in April.

Some restaurants in Downtown Conway don’t have parking lots or properties they can easily put outdoor dining tables on. Emrick can now work directly with businesses to figure out how the city can help find outdoor areas.

“We are willing to work with any restaurant in the city,” Emrick said. “And to work with them quickly is imperative.”

Emrick said he already has spoken with several downtown restaurant leaders about what plans they have to open outdoor seating. The Crafty Rooster will operate in an alley behind its location, The Trestle will use parking spaces in Norman Alley, Crooked Oak Tavern is setting up tables in front of the restaurant and Bonfire is using its deck and a side patio area.

While plans are still being worked on, the city could close alleyways to allow restaurants more space for tables and social distancing. In addition, a temporary relaxation of city alcohol laws could allow for drinks to be served in the new outdoor eating areas.

More specific information about what each restaurant is doing will be provided as problems are addressed. DHEC regulations will also need to be maintained.

Mayor Barbara Blain-Bellamy reminded residents that just because things are opening, that does not mean other recommendations should be ignored. She asked people to keep wearing masks in public.

Diners eat at outdoor tables set up by The Trestle in Conway’s Norman Ally. The City of Conway is doing what it can to help its restaurants recover from coronavirus emergency closures. May 6, 2020
Diners eat at outdoor tables set up by The Trestle in Conway’s Norman Ally. The City of Conway is doing what it can to help its restaurants recover from coronavirus emergency closures. May 6, 2020 JASON LEE jlee@thesunnews.com

This story was originally published May 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM.

Tyler Fleming
The Sun News
Development and Horry County reporter Tyler Fleming joined The Sun News in May of 2018. He covers other stuff too, like reporting on beer, bears, breaking news and Coastal Carolina University. He graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2018 and was the 2017-18 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. He has won (and lost) several college journalism awards.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER