Local

Apology issued after city workers caught on tape taking campaign signs

Myrtle Beach City Manager John Pedersen issued an apology Tuesday morning after several campaign signs were removed from a local business owner’s property.

“I do apologize,” Pedersen said. “It was a mistake that our staff made. It was not directed at one candidate or another. We don’t play favorites.”

A video posted on social media Monday afternoon shows city workers removing the signs from the property surrounding Caldas Coal Fire Pizza and Sports Bar on 1311 North Kings Highway.

Pedersen said that he did send workers out to collect signs that were placed next to the Kings Festival shopping center where signs were not allowed to be placed. After, the workers collected signs that supported Ed Carey for mayor and City Council candidates Ann A. Dunham, Mike Hobeika and Matthew Hardee off of the private property.

“They took down some signs that shouldn’t have been taken down,” Pedersen said. “They simply made a mistake.”

According to Pedersen, about 20 minutes after the signs were removed the workers went back to replace them.

Cole Caldas, owner of the bar, said that this is the second time that signs had been removed from his property. He said that there were about 25 signs and that only three were returned.

“I apologize in the fact there was an error,” Pedersen said.

Megan Tomasic: 843-626-0343, @MeganTomasic

This story was originally published October 25, 2017 at 9:47 AM with the headline "Apology issued after city workers caught on tape taking campaign signs."

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER