News anchor seeking information related to Heather Elvis disappearance found not guilty of trespassing
An Horry County jury found a news anchor from WMBF television not guilty of trespassing Friday in a case related to the Heather Elvis disappearance.
Michael Maely was charged with trespassing earlier this year after he tried to get comment from family members of Tammy Moorer, who is charged with kidnapping and murder in Elvis’ disappearance.
The jury took about 20 minutes to find Maely not guilty of trespassing, according to Jay Bender, a media attorney. Bender said Maely was represented by attorney Samuel Mokeba.
Horry County police charged Maely after he tried in February to get comment to balance his story concerning Elvis, Bender said. He said police charged him with trespassing for standing in the driveway of the Caison family.
Moorer’s father William Caison told police that there were about 100 no trespassing signs on his property and that Maely went onto the porch and tried to force his way in through the door, according to Bender, who said neither of the claims were true.
Bender said no one was charged with filing a false police report.
This story was originally published October 10, 2014 at 9:42 PM with the headline "News anchor seeking information related to Heather Elvis disappearance found not guilty of trespassing ."