When Alyssa Girkins arrived on campus as a freshman, most of her family knew nothing about Coastal Carolina University.
Now in her final semester, she said that’s changed.
“It’s definitely gotten its name out there a lot more in the last four years,” Girkins said.
So what led her relatives on the West Coast to discover CCU?
“We started making ourselves known,” she said.
On the heels of a banner sports year, CCU will celebrate another athletics milestone Friday when the campus officially renames its sports facilities. They will now be known as the TD Sports Complex.
The university is changing the name to reflect a $5 million gift TD Bank made to CCU last year. The complex serves the university’s sports teams, including football, basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, softball, track and field and women’s lacrosse.
A ceremony is scheduled for 5 p.m. Friday at the Brooks Stadium entrance.
CCU saw unprecedented sports success last year.
The Chanticleers made a deep playoff run in football and the men’s basketball squad reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 21 years. Overall, the university won three regular season crowns and five tournament titles.
University President David DeCenzo said the accomplishments of CCU athletics have garnered national attention.
“Academics comes first, but athletics really puts the sunshine on an institution,” he said. “You cannot have a thriving, comprehensive institution without a solid athletic program.”
As with much of the campus, some of the sports facilities have undergone major renovations in recent years. Others remain under construction.
Here’s a snapshot of some of those projects:
Softball/baseball complex upgrades
• Projected completion date: Summer 2015
• Budget: $11.2 million
• Features: This project is being completed in two phases. The softball complex opened in February and hosted 35 home games. The complex was also the site of the Big South Conference Softball Tournament. Construction on the second phase is expected to begin in early December. The softball complex is adding pitchers' mounds and a batting area. In Phase II, the baseball field is adding turf, an outfield wall and a bullpen. The baseball stadium improvements also include a brick and concrete facade.
• Projected completion date: November
• Budget: $2 million
• Features: The new facility will include 12 courts (six lighted), a press box, locker rooms, a concessions area, restrooms, a PA system, bleachers, coaches offices and storage space. The upgrades will allow CCU to host tournaments year round.
• Completed: August 2012
• Budget: $35 million
• Features: The center spans more than 131,000 square feet and can accommodate more than 3,600 fans for athletic events. The facility also serves as a recreation center for students and includes an indoor track, a 38-foot climbing wall, and traditional strength and conditioning equipment. Kayaks, camping equipment, bicycles and paddleboards are also available for students to check out.