Local

Myrtle Beach to consider bar closing times after Pure Ultra shooting

jlee@thesunnews

Myrtle Beach City Council will consider an emergency ordinance Tuesday that could require some bars and similar establishments to close at 2 a.m.

City Spokesman Mark Kruea said the ordinance applies to businesses on the Superblock, which includes Nance Plaza and is bounded by 9th Avenue North, Broadway Street, U.S. 501 and Main Street.

“Those businesses within the designated district identified herein that allow for the on-site consumption of beer, ale, porter and wine and that host promoters at any time shall be prohibited from operating between the hours 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. on Mondays through Saturdays. The regulated business must be closed by 2:00 a.m. and cease all commercial activity. No patrons shall be on the premises by 2:00 a.m.,” the text of the measure reads.

A shooting on Saturday at Pure Ultra Club, located on the Superblock at 803 Main Street, left five injured. Police announced after the incident that parking in the area would be prohibited between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.

The city enacted a moratorium on new bars and similar establishments in the area last year, and currently prohibits bars and clubs from operating past 2 a.m. when they have a promoted event with a guest like a DJ, but there is no blanket provision on bar and club closing times.

“There is a provision in state law for an emergency ordinance,” Kruea said of the measure. “In an emergency situation the state law would allow this sort of action.”

The ordinance would affect businesses immediately after a first reading, if passed.

Chloe Johnson: 843-626-0381, @_ChloeAJ

This story was originally published November 7, 2016 at 12:46 PM with the headline "Myrtle Beach to consider bar closing times after Pure Ultra shooting."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER