Coronavirus

Conway’s Theatre of the Republic wants to be your Saturday night quarantine entertainment

The show hasn’t stopped at Horry County’s Theatre of the Republic even if coronavirus has closed down its ability to operate normally.

And thanks to the community contributing more than $13,000, the theater will be able to continue entertaining Horry County locals with another telethon fundraiser this weekend.

On Saturday, starting at 7 p.m., TOR will host its second virtual showcase and telethon on its Facebook page. The hope is to continue raising money that helps the theater stay open until in-person shows can resume.

“Many people don’t realize theaters mostly survive off their ticket sales,” Executive Director Tim McGhee said. “We have zero money coming in, but we still have bills.”

Saturday’s show will include more than 30 singing, dancing, comedic and musical acts. This showcase has entirely new, voluntary acts and there will be no repeats from the past telethon.

The actors are kept distant as they wait to go on stage. McGhee said the show can run a little long depending on what each act is and if the performer has a message to share afterward.

There are no crowds allowed into the theater. The only way to watch the showcase is to tune in on Facebook. You can donate while watching.

“It doesn’t matter what size you give or if you can’t get, please still tune-in and become part of our theater family,” McGhee said.

TOR, located in Downtown Conway, has been entertaining the people of Horry County for over 50 years. It’s last in-person show closed on March 16 and since then little income has been coming in.

McGhee said he applied for federal small business money to help bring back some staff to work. Without live shows or word on when theaters can reopen, TOR is unable to plan for future seasons. But the community support has been a “blessing” and McGhee is grateful for the people helping the theater survive a difficult time in its history.

Two shows could be put together in three weeks, but that depends on when Gov. Henry McMaster loosens his order closing theaters. Even with the successful fundraising, the future, like so many other institutions in Horry County, is uncertain for TOR if shows can’t resume soon.

Until a time when the theater can reopen, McGhee plans on doing whatever he can to bring entertainment to the area. He believes there is no true digital replacement for getting to see and participate in the arts first hand.

Yet, for now at least, a virtual show will have to do.

“It’s basically bringing music back into the empty hall. When you sing a song and it ends with no applause, it’s very eerie. But it makes the point that right now we are singing to an empty theater but soon we will back,” McGhee said

Tyler Fleming
The Sun News
Development and Horry County reporter Tyler Fleming joined The Sun News in May of 2018. He covers other stuff too, like reporting on beer, bears, breaking news and Coastal Carolina University. He graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2018 and was the 2017-18 editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. He has won (and lost) several college journalism awards.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER