Business

Myrtle Beach restaurant to close after not renewing liquor license

A Myrtle Beach restaurant informed the state it plans to close and lay off 29 employees by the end of the month.

Anchor Bar Myrtle Beach, 6401 N Kings Hwy., gave notice on Aug. 18 that it plans to close permanently by Aug. 31, according to a WARN report from SC Works.

The owner did not immediately return a request to comment on Aug. 19. Manager Sally Rice said, “We’re going day by day.”

Anchor Bar announced on Aug. 8 that it would not renew its liquor license. This came as a shock to customers, who could not believe a sports bar selling wings would not serve beer.

Rice said she did not know why Anchor Bar did not renew its license. The Sun News reached out to the Department of Revenue for clarification but did not hear back before publication.

Anchor Bar opened in Myrtle Beach last year near the start of the summer, according to The Sun News. The original restaurant in Buffalo, New York, prides itself on inventing the buffalo wing.

Emalyn Muzzy
The Sun News
Emalyn Muzzy is the retail and leisure reporter for The Sun News. She started as a breaking news reporter in Myrtle Beach before switching to the business beat. She graduated from the University of Minnesota is 2022 with a degree in journalism and Spanish.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER