Records: Horry County denies woman’s allegations that she was sexually assaulted by detective
Horry County denies allegations that a Georgetown County woman was sexually assaulted by a police detective who was supposed to be investigating her rape case, according to recently filed court records.
The county on Feb. 22 filed an answer to the unnamed woman’s civil lawsuit, which asserts that the detective, who also isn’t identified in court papers, assaulted multiple women involved with cases he was investigating. The woman sued the county and the police department on Dec. 22.
County officials have said the detective no longer works for the department, but the woman’s accusations prompted the county to ask the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) to investigate the matter on Nov. 4.
SLED spokesman Thom Berry said that case remains open.
The woman’s lawsuit states that she called 911 on Dec. 25, 2013, to report that she had been sexually assaulted by someone she knew.
Two officers responded, but no arrests were made, according to the lawsuit. The following month, a detective contacted the woman, told her he had been assigned to her case and insisted on meeting at her home.
For the next six months, the detective “engaged in a course of coercive behavior, unwanted sexual advances, and sexual assault,” according to the woman’s lawsuit. In one instance, records state, the woman was assaulted by the detective in his police vehicle.
Court records do not indicate when the detective stopped working for the county or the nature of his departure.
The lawsuit asserts that county and police department leaders should have known about the former detective’s behavior, but failed to stop him. The complaint also states that the department and the county did not immediately report the sexual assault allegations and condoned inappropriate officer conduct.
The woman says she suffered physical and psychological injuries. She is seeking unspecified damages.
In an answer to the woman’s lawsuit, the county listed 14 defenses, including an assertion that because the woman isn’t identified there isn’t sufficient information to verify the accuracy of her allegations.
The county also states that if the woman did suffer any injuries they were “due to and caused by the negligence of Plaintiff” or others over whom the county had no control.
“Defendants assert that at no time were their alleged actions, conduct, or omissions motivated by any evil motive or intent and/or reckless or callous indifference to the Plaintiff,” wrote Samuel Arthur III, the Florence attorney representing the county and the police department.
County spokeswoman Lisa Bourcier declined to comment beyond the statements in the court records.
Scott Evans, a Georgetown attorney representing the woman, could not be reached for comment Monday.
Evans did file a motion with the court asking that his client be allowed to remain anonymous in court filings, though he said she may be identified to other parties involved in the case.
“This action involves matters of a highly sensitive and highly personal nature,” Evans wrote.
His motion has not been heard in court yet.
Charles D. Perry: 843-626-0218, @TSN_CharlesPerr
This story was originally published February 29, 2016 at 9:08 PM with the headline "Records: Horry County denies woman’s allegations that she was sexually assaulted by detective."