Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Tidelands Health, but some take place at different locations. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.tidelandshealth.org
Chronic kidney disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or visit www.ultracare-dialysis.com/TOPS
TAKE OFF POUNDS SENSIBLY
▪ Young stroke survivors between ages 20 and 65 | 11:30 a.m. third Wednesday, first-floor classroom, Waccamaw Hospital or 5:30 p.m. education center, Georgetown Memorial Hospital. 843-655-2835 or www.YoungStroke.org.
▪ Waccamaw Regional Family Caregiver | 1-2 p.m. last Wednesday, Belin United Methodist Church Family Life Center, 4183 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. 843-436-6144
▪ Grief | 10:30-noon first and third Wednesday, Burroughs Funeral Home, 3558 Old Kings Highway, Murrells Inlet. Free. 843-979-0304
▪ Parkinson’s | 7 p.m. second Thursday, NHC Health Care, 9405 U.S. 17 Bypass, Garden City Beach. 843-357-2306
▪ Better Breathers Club | 1-2:30 p.m. third Friday, first-floor classroom, Tidelands Waccamaw Community Hospital. 843-652-1624
Blood drives sponsored by American Red Cross are scheduled as follows. Call 843-839-4483 or 800-RED-CROSS or www.redcrossblood.org.
▪ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 11, Sea Glass Towers, 1400 N. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach
▪ 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 12, Golf Academy, 1900 Joe White Ave., Myrtle Beach
▪ 12:30 - 6:30 p.m. Oct. 13, McLeod Loris, 3655 Mitchell St., Loris
▪ 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 18, E. Craig Wall Building, U.S. 501 W., Conway
▪ 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 19, Horry County Complex, 1301 Second Ave., Conway
▪ 2 - 7 p.m. Oct. 19, Myrtle Beach Golf and Yacht Club, 6851 King Arthur Drive
▪ 2 - 7 p.m. Oct. 20, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, 65 Crooked Oak Drive, Pawleys Island
▪ 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 21, Conway Medical Center Administration Building, 300 Singleton Ridge Road, Conway. 843-347-8035
▪ 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 24, South Strand Complex, 9630 Scipio Lane, Myrtle Beach
▪ 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 25, North Myrtle Beach Aquatics and Fitness Center, 1100 Second Ave. S., North Myrtle Beach
▪ 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 31, Myrtle Beach Kia, 4811 U.S. 501, Myrtle Beach
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Conway Medical Center. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit www.conwaymedicalcenter.com.
Obstetrics tour | 2 p.m. every Sunday, Conway Medical Center. 843-347-8108
Freedom from Smoking Class series | 3-5 p.m. or 5-7 p.m. every Tuesday through Oct. 20, Conway Medical Center. $50. 843-347-7107
Seminar: Joint Replacement | Noon Oct. 11, Conway Medical Center. Lunch will be served. 843-347-8108
Seminar: Spine | Noon Oct. 14, Conway Medical Center. Lunch will be served. 843-347-8108
Childbirth class | 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Oct. 15, Conway Medical Center. 843-347-8108
AARP Smart Driver course | 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Oct. 18, CMC Administrative Services Building auditorium. $15 members; $20 non-members. 843-347-8108 to register.
Heartsaver CPR AED class | 1 p.m. Oct. 20, Conway Medical Center. $45 includes a student workbook with adult and child/infant reminder cards. 843-234-5019 to register.
▪ Al-Anon | 8 p.m. every Tuesday, 508 Beaty St., Conway. 843-450-5620
▪ Conway Al-Anon | 6 p.m. Wednesday, 6 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. Saturday, Serenity Hall, 2118 Oak St., Conway. 843-465-7416 or email@example.com
▪ Breast Cancer | 5:30 p.m. Oct. 11, CMC Outpatient Diagnostic Center, 801 Farrar Drive, Conway. 843-234-7309
Many of these classes, events and meetings are sponsored by Grand Strand Medical Center, but some take place at the YMCA on 62nd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach or at HealthFinders in Coastal Grand mall. Call the numbers listed for more information or visit MyGrandStrandHealth.com/Events.
Walk-in screenings | 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, HealthFinders. Offers low cost cholesterol and A1C screenings daily. 843-692-4444
Ask the Pharmacist | 2-4 p.m. Fridays, HealthFinders. Bring your medication for review. One-on-one consults with a registered pharmacist. 843-692-4444
Grief Educational workshop | 3-4:30 p.m. Wednesdays through Oct. 26, meeting room B, Grissom campus, First Presbyterian Church, 3810 Robert Grissom Parkway, Myrtle Beach. Free. 843-448-4496 to register.
Seminar: Weight Loss Surgery | 6-7 p.m. Oct. 11, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
Special Needs Night | 6-8 p.m. Oct. 11, Rockin' Jump in Myrtle Beach. $10 per jumper for the entire time and $5 each additional jumper. All special needs families are welcome. 843-283-3033 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seminar: Hip Replacement Surgery | 6-7 p.m. Oct. 13, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
Infant Care class | 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 15, HealthFinders. Free. 843-692-4444
Breastfeeding class | 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. Oct. 15, HealthFinders. Free. 843-692-4444
Sibling Preparation class for children ages 3-10 | 2-3 p.m. Oct. 16, Grand Strand Medical Center. Free. 843-692-4444
Obstetrics tour | 3:30-4 p.m. Oct. 16, Grand Strand Medical Center. Free. 843-692-4444
Coping with grief during the holidays | 3-4:30 p.m. Oct. 18, Mercy Care, 8216 Devon Court, Myrtle Beach. The program is free but donations are appreciated. 843-234-6271 to register.
Medicare workshop for prescription drug plans - part D | 9:30 a.m. Oct. 19, 26, Nov. 2, 9, 23, 30, Socastee Library, 141 S.C. 707- Connector Road, Myrtle Beach. 843-436-6252 or email@example.com, registration required.
Infant/Child CPR and First Aid class | 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 22, HealthFinders. $15 per person. 843-692-4444
Self Defense class | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 22, X Gym, 568 George Bishop Parkway, Myrtle Beach. Free. 843-448-3180
AARP Smart Driver course | 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 29, Chapin Memorial Library. $20; $15 members. 843-945-4455 to reserve a seat.
Turkey Trot 5K - autism awareness 1-mile run for the kids | 8 a.m. Nov. 24, Market Common. To register, www.festivalpromos.com
▪ Alcoholics Anonymous meetings | Varying schedule, varying locations on the Grand Strand. 24-hour hotline. 843-445-7119 or visit www.aamyrtlebeach.org
▪ Living with Kidney Disease education | Varying schedule, varying locations in Horry and Georgetown counties. Free. 866-647-9396 or visit www.fresenius kidneycare.com
▪ Overeaters Anonymous, Meetings throughout the Grand Strand. Call for information. 843-222-3416.
▪ Rape Crisis Center | Individual counseling, support group, 24-hour hotline for victims of sexual assault. 843-448-3180 or 843-448-7273
▪ National Safe Haven Alliance | Operates a 24-hour hotline that women in distress can use for anonymous assistance. 888-510-2229
▪ Unplanned pregnancy? | Free pregnancy testing, free counseling and support. Coastline Women’s Center. 843-488-9971
▪ Addiction counseling | Narconon Arrowhead. Call for free assessments or referrals, 800-468-6933 or www.narcononarrow- head.org
▪ Survivors of Suicide Loss | 6 p.m. third Monday, Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. Free. 336-707-0022
▪ Brain Injury (TBI) and Stoke (ABI) | 6:30 p.m. second Monday of each month, Sept. - May, the Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, Myrtle Beach. http://billjarvis.org/
Inflammatory Bowel Disease | 6:30 p.m. third Friday. 843-997-1671 for location
▪ Myasthenia Gravis - Myrtle Beach | 1-3 p.m. second Saturday, AA Health, 4620 Dick Pond Road, Myrtle Beach. 843-504-8063 or 843-997-9119
▪ Recovering couples anonymous | 7-8:30 p.m. Sundays, 48th Avenue North, Myrtle Beach. Call for directions, 843-602-4380 or 843-602-3171
▪ Mended Hearts | 11:30 a.m. second Monday, Mercy Care, 8216 Devon Court, Myrtle Beach. 843-685-3378 or firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ Grief | 3-4:30 p.m. first and third Tuesday, meeting room A, Grissom campus, First Presbyterian Church, 3810 Robert Grissom Parkway, Myrtle Beach. 843-448-4496 to make reservation
▪ Adult Survivors’ | 5:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, 1551 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. 843-448-3180
▪ Brain Injury (TBI) and Stoke (ABI) | 6:30 p.m. second Monday of each month, Sept.- May, the Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, Myrtle Beach. http://billjarvis.org/
▪ Cushing’s | 1 p.m. Oct. 11, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ Stroke | 2 p.m. Oct. 11, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ La Leche Breastfeeding | 10:30 a.m. Oct. 12, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ Prostate Cancer | 6 p.m. Oct. 12, HealthFinders. 843-692-4444
▪ Diabetes | 6 p.m. Oct. 24, classrooms B and C, CMC Rehabilitation Services Building. 843-347-8013
LORIS/NORTH MYRTLE BEACH
Flu shots | 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 17, Little River American Legion Post 186, 4285 Pine Drive, Little River. You will need to bring proof of insurance, Medicare or any supplement insurance.
▪ Al-Anon | 6:30-7:30 p.m. every Tuesday, A.A. Building, U.S. 17 S., Grissettown, N.C., across from Ocean Ridge, near Calabash and Shallotte. Email email@example.com or just show up at the next meeting
▪ Alzheimer’s Caregiver | 11 a.m. to noon second Tuesday, Loris Library, 4316 Main St. Free and open to the public. 843-655-7192
▪ Active Parenting of Teens | 6-8 p.m. second and fourth Tuesday beginning Oct. 11 for six weeks, the Brunswick County Courthouse, 310 Government Center Drive NE #1, Bolivia, N.C. Free. 910-253-4087 or firstname.lastname@example.org to pre-register.
To have your local health events and information listed, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information: Name of your group, time and date of meeting/event, location/address, topic/purpose, whether it is open to the public, whether it's free or the amount it costs. These announcements are listed each Monday on a space-available basis.