Food & Drink

A Murrells Inlet restaurant and arcade just permanently closed. Here’s what to know

Player 1UP at 3264 US-17 Business in Murrells Inlet announced in a Facebook post that the restaurant would close March 2, 2025, noting that it was ‘Game Over.’
Player 1UP at 3264 US-17 Business in Murrells Inlet announced in a Facebook post that the restaurant would close March 2, 2025, noting that it was ‘Game Over.’ jlee@thesunnews.com

An arcade-themed eatery that opened in 2022 in Murrells Inlet shut down in March 2025.

Player 1UP at 3264 US-17 Business in Murrells Inlet announced in a Facebook post that the restaurant would close March 2, 2025, noting that it was ‘Game Over.’

The restaurant owner, Howard Bohrer, could not be reached for comment before publication. Despite being listed on Google, the arcade’s Facebook and Instagram accounts no longer appear.

The eatery had billiards, classic arcade games like Pac-Man, pinball, air hockey and a rooftop bar. The eatery also held pinball tournaments for competing locals.

The restaurant opened in 2022 at the entrance of Inlet Square Mall. It replaced Milardo’s Pizzeria, which once occupied the 7,000-square-foot building. Player 1UP in Murrells Inlet was the arcade’s second location after the Rock Hill, S.C. restaurant opened in August 2019.

In an interview with The Sun News, Rock Hill’s Player 1UP owner Mike Bost said that the Murrells Inlet restaurant was a separate entity and not affiliated with the Rock Hill location.

The area is undergoing significant change. Inlet Square is in the middle of a massive redevelopment project. Demolition of the former 500,000-square-foot enclosed mall began in June 2024 and will wrap up shortly. A Home2 Suites by Hilton will also open as part of the project.

In a March 2025 interview with The Sun News, Paramount Development Corporation Real Estate Manager Neal Bowers said that site and other infrastructure work should begin in the next month.

Ben Morse
The Sun News
Ben Morse is the Retail and Leisure Reporter for The Sun News. Morse covers local business and Coastal Carolina University football and was awarded third place in the 2023 South Carolina Press Association News Contest for sports beat reporting and second place for sports video in the all-daily division. Morse previously worked for The Island Packet, covering local government. Morse graduated from American University in 2023 with a Bachelor’s Degree in journalism and economics and is originally from Prospect, Kentucky.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER