Through August at Huntington Beach State Park (details at 843-235-8755 or www.huntingtonbeachsp.com):
- “Coastal Kayaking,” guided salt-marsh tour for ages 9 and older, and with adult accompaniment through age 15 – 9-11 a.m. Mondays; meet by 8:45 a.m. at gift shop, then caravan to from Oyster Landing in Murrells Inlet, a half-mile north of park entrance. $40 fee. Pre-registration required with Black River Outdoors Center at 843-546-4840 by 4 p.m. the previous Sunday.
- “Alligators,” 10-11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 6-7 p.m. Fridays, from Atalaya.
- “Salt Marsh Seining,” noon-1 p.m. Tuesdays at Oyster Landing.
- “Spineless Wonders,” 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays at washroom area of main parking lot.
- “Coastal Birding,” 10-11 a.m. Wednesdays from causeway parking lot.
- “Crabbing,” with catch-and-release observations, noon-1 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays, and 2-3 p.m. Saturdays, at Oyster Landing, for $3 with ticket from gift shop.
- “Surf Seining,” noon-1 p.m. Thursdays on beach in front of gift shop.
- “Secrets of the Salt Marsh,” 4-5 p.m. Thursdays, on march boardwalk.
- “Beachcombing,” 10-11 a.m. Fridays, from north beach parking lot.
- “Sea Turtles,” covering loggerheads, 4-5 p.m. Fridays at washroom area of main parking lot.
- “Atalaya Ghost Tour,” 8:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays, for $3 ages 6 and older, otherwise free; bring flashlights.
- “Fish Printing,” 10-11 a.m. Saturdays, at washroom area of main parking lot, for $3 – Bring a T-shirt or pillow case to print; fabric paints and paper are provided.
- “Snakes and Reptiles,” 4-5 p.m. at washroom area of main parking lot.
- Atalaya historic residence of the park namesakes and Brookgreen founders – Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington – open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily for self-guided tours, for $2 admission for ages 6 and older, otherwise free; guided tours, 2-3 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon-1 p.m. Saturdays; and 45-minute, audiotours for $3.
- Solar eclipse viewing, 1-4 p.m. Aug. 21 on beach.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News