Below is a list of amusement parks, ropes courses and a some added adventure experiences for things to do with families in Myrtle Beach.
Amusements stay abundant on the Grand Strand, with Family Kingdom Amusement Park, just south of downtown Myrtle Beach, boasting a wooden coaster, the Swamp Fox, a towering landmark dating to 1966 and spanning 2,400 feet of track.
Also, the Broadway Grand Prix Family Race Park, formerly NASCAR Speedpark and including the Sky Coaster for a feeling of floating through the air, is revved up, across U.S. 17 Bypass, and open daily into late September.
- Broadway Grand Prix Family Race Park, 1820 21st Ave N. Ext., Myrtle Beach, at U.S. 17 Bypass, across from the Palace Theatre and Broadway at the Beach. Open daily through August. 843-839-4080 or Broadway Grand Prix.
- Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach. Also: Rides wristbands for local residents who show ID; $15.75, sold only in office under Swamp Fox roller coaster. 843-626-3447 or Family Kingdom.
- Ocean Drive Pavilion Amusement Park, 90 S. Ocean Blvd., North Myrtle Beach, at “Horseshoe”/Main Street. Open May 30-Sept. 5. 843-663-3132 or OD Pavilion.
- Pavilion Park, at Broadway at the Beach, on Robert Grissom Parkway, between 21st and 29 avenues North in Myrtle Beach. 843-839-0303 or pavilion-park.com; and for Broadway at the Beach: 843-444-3200, 800-386-4662 or Pavilion Park.
Riding and flying high comes easily across the Grand Strand, especially on the SkyWheel, where a ride consists of three “flights,” or revolutions, affording a view for miles around.
Also, the area has had two new ropes courses open in the past couple of years: the Go Ape Zip Line and Treetop Adventure Course, in the North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex, and Radical Ropes Adventure Park, in Myrtle Beach, at the former site of the Safari Golf miniature golf complex.
- Fun Warehouse (including roller skating rink), 2349 Dick Pond Road (S.C. 544), near Surfside Beach, a half-mile east of U.S. 17 Bypass. 843-748-0302 or Fun Warehouse.
- Harry the Potter (paint-your-own pottery studio), 4007B Belle Terre Blvd., west of U.S. 501, west of Forestbook Road and Food Lion plaza, near Forestbrook community, just south/east of S.C. 31. 843-236-3009 or Harry the Potter.
- Hollywood Wax Museum Entertainment Center, comprising Hollywood Wax Museum, Outbreak: Dread the Undead, and Hannah’s Maze of Mirrors, 1808 21st Ave. N. Ext., Myrtle Beach, at U.S. 17 Bypass, next to Broadway Grand Prix. 843-444-0091 or Hollywood Wax Museum.
- Myrtle Beach SkyWheel, 1110 N. Ocean Blvd., adjacent to Myrtle Beach’s Plyler Park, at Mr. Joe White A
venue. 843-839-9200 or SkyWheel.
- Myrtle Beach Thrill Rides, seasonal (www.myrtlebeachthrillrides.com): The Sling Shot and Air Strike, at Ocean Boulevard and 12th Avenue North (843-444-8255); and The Skyscraper, on Third Avenue South, next to Family Kingdom Amusement Park (843-444-8244).– Myrtle Beach Ziplines, 321 Ninth Ave. N., Myrtle Beach, between Kings Highway and Ocean Boulevard, at former Pavilion site. 843-839-9477 or www.mbziplines.com.
- Ripley’s Myrtle Beach Attractions, 901-915 N. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach (843-448-2331 or Ripley’s Myrtle Beach):
– Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorium
– Ripley’s Haunted Adventure.
– Ripley’s Marvelous Mirror Maze
– Ripley’s 5D Moving Theater.
- WonderWorks science center, at Broadway at the Beach, at U.S. 17 Bypass, off 21st Avenue North in Myrtle Beach. 843-626-9962 or www.wonderworksonline.com/myrtle-beach.
- Go Ape Zip Line and Treetop Adventure Course — including newly opened junior course for families with children of all ages — at North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex, at S.C. 90 and Robert Edge Parkway, behind amphitheater. 15. 800-971-8271, 410-787-2417 or goape.com/zip-line/north-myrtle-beach.
- Radical Ropes Adventure Park, 301 19th Ave. S. Myrtle Beach, at Kings Highway. 843-723-4225 (RADICAL) or www.radicalropes.com.
- Soar + Explore Zipline & Ropes Course, outside WonderWorks, at Broadway at the Beach, near U.S. 17 Bypass and 21st Avenue North in Myrtle Beach. 843-626-9962 or www.wonderworksonline.com/myrtle-beach/.