‘Military Appreciation Days’ continue
More details at 843-918-1014 or www.militaryappreciationdays.com:
▪ Memorial Day Veterans March with Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association, 9 a.m., south on Myrtle Beach’s Ocean Boulevard between 16th and Ninth avenues North, with brief ceremony at former Pavilion site.
▪ Memorial Day ceremony, with Grand Strand Patriotic Alliance, 11 a.m. at Myrtle Beach Convention Center Plaza, on Oak Street at 21st Avenue North – Festive Brass of Myrtle Beach also will perform at 10:30 a.m.
▪ Sixth annual “Myrtle Beach Memorial Day Tribute,” 2 p.m., including “Patriot Dream: The Story of the Pilgrims” film, at Grand 14 Cinema, at The Market Common. Free.
Other Memorial Day remembrances
▪ 10 a.m. at Georgetown Veterans Memorial, 715 Church St. (U.S. 17), Georgetown, between American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars posts, with retired Navy Cmdr. Joe Bull speaking about USS Tang submarines. 843-546-3745.
▪ 10:30 a.m. with Little River Elks Lodge 2840 and other groups, at North Myrtle Beach Memorial Gardens, 65 E. S.C. 90, Little River, at U.S. 17, S.C. 9 and Nixon Crossroads. 843-249-2932.
▪ 10:45 a.m. at Florence National Cemetery, 803 E. National Cemetery Road, Florence, east of U.S. 52 and south of U.S. 76, including Army Major Gen. Robert E. Livingston Jr., S.C. adjutant general, as keynote speaker. 843-669-8783.
▪ 11 a.m. with Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 925 Grand Strand, at Old Horry County Courthouse, 1201 Third Ave., Conway. 843-492-0005 or www.vva925.org.
▪ Noon at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10420, 4359 U.S. 17 Bypass S., Murrells Inlet, with Betty J. Hilliard, S.C. State VFW Commander, as guest speaker; Battle Cross ceremony by Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association; and music by Pawleys Island Concert Band. 843-651-6900.
▪ 2:30 p.m. at Surfside Beach Veterans Memorial, in Passive Park, at Surfside and Willow drives, by Horry County Memorial Library branch. 843-650-9548 or www.surfsidebeach.org.
▪ 5:45-6:30 p.m. on Battleship North Carolina, at U.S. Routes 17, 74, 76 and 421 in Wilmington, N.C. Free admission for this event. 910-251-5797 or www.battleshipnc.com.
‘Summer Regional Show’ opens at gallery
The Associated Artists of Southport’s “Summer Regional Show” opens, continuing through June 18. Details at 910-457-5450 or www.franklinsquaregallery.com.
Details: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays at at Franklin Square Gallery, 130 E. West St., Southport, N.C. Free.
See Mars up close through telescopes
With Mars making its closest approach to Earth in more than a decade, take a look through telescopes, weather permitting, also with expected views of Jupiter and Saturn. Details at 910-575-0033 or www.museumplanetarium.org.
Details: 9 p.m. at Ingram Planetarium, 7625 High Market St., Sunset Beach, N.C. Free.
State parks open every day of year
Same admission for each park,open 6 a.m.-10 p.m. daily: $5 ages 16 and older, $3.25 S.C. seniors, $3 ages 6-15:
▪ Myrtle Beach State Park, on U.S. 17 Business, one mile south of Farrow Parkway/South Ocean Boulevard, across from Seagate Village. 843-238-5325 or www.myrtlebeachsp.com.
▪ Huntington Beach State Park, on U.S. 17 between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, across from Brookgreen Gardens. 843-237-4440 or www.huntingtonbeachsp.com. (Also, in “Coastal Kayaking,” 10 a.m.-noon Mondays take a guided salt-marsh tour from Oyster Landing in Murrells Inlet, for $35. Register at 843-235-8755 by 4 p.m. the previous Sunday.)
All three water parks splash for holiday
All three local water parks open on this federal holiday, and prices vary per site:
▪ Wild Water & Wheels, 910 U.S. Business S., Surfside Beach: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. 843-238-3787 or www.wild-water.com.
▪ Splashes Oceanfront Water Park, across from Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. 843-916-0400 or www.familykingdomfun.com.
▪ Myrtle Waves Water Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue North Extension and at U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. 843-913-9250 or www.myrtlewaves.com.