Celebrate ‘Military Appreciation Days’
The eighth annual “Military Appreciation Days” continues (843-918-1014 or www.militaryappreciationdays.com):
▪ Memorial Day weekend parade, 10:30 a.m. Saturday – from Horry-Georgetown Technical College Grand Strand Campus in Myrtle Beach, going left on Pampas Drive, left on Howard Avenue, left ton Farrow Parkway, going by Grand Park and The Market Common, and left on Forbus Court – with Noah Galloway, U.S. Army veteran and a third-place finisher with Sharna Burgess on ABC-TV’s “Dancing with the Stars” in spring 2015, as grand marshal.
▪ Family Picnic, noon-2 p.m.in Myrtle Beach’s Grand Park, across from The Market Common, with meet-and-greet with Galloway and concert by Andrew Thielen Big Band, and free meals for military personnel, veterans, and their families, and “Veterans Beard & ’Stache Beach Bash” contest.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News
Other special events for Saturday
▪ “Battleship Alive!” with World War II living history interpreters, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Battleship North Carolina – open till 8 p.m. daily – at U.S. Routes 17, 74, 76 and 421 in Wilmington, N.C. Free with admission: $14 ages 12-64; $10 ages 65 and older, and active duty or retired military with ID; $6 ages 6-11; and free ages 5 and younger. 910-251-5797 or www.battleshipnc.com.
▪ “Dirty Mud Run” benefit for autism awareness, 9 a.m. at Waterbridge development, on Carolina Forest Boulevard. Fees vary by event. 843-267-7443 or www.dirtymyrtlemudrun.com.
▪ Carolina Forest High School show choirs in “To the Stage,” 10-10:30 a.m., viewable only at www.dancenetwork.tv; from there, choose the prompts for “Channels,” then “Original content,” and “To the Stage” (tothestage.tv).
▪ Breakfast with the Butterflies,” 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach. $25 adult, $20 child. Reservations at 843-235-6016. www.brookgreen.org.
▪ Boy Scout Troop 891 annual barbecue, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at Socastee United Methodist Church, 5575 Dick Pond Road, behind Domino’s. 843-650-3373 or www.socasteeumc.org.
▪ Season opening day for Splashes Oceanfront Water Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, across from Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Plus tax: $21.95 for anyone 4 feet or taller, $18.95 children under 4 feet; also, $37.95 combo ticket for one day water park, and one day amusement park. 843-626-3447 or www.familykingdomfun.com.
▪ “Science Cinema” with Disneynature’s “Oceans” narrated by Pierce Brosnan and rated G, at 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. at N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences at Whiteville, 415 S. Madison St. Free. 910-914-4185 or www.naturalsciences.org.
▪ Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Aromas Pizza, 10799 Hwy 707, Murrells Inlet. Free. 843-742-9802 or www.myrtlebeachcarclub.com.
▪ Swamp Fox Players’ The Fantasticks,” 8 p.m. Saturday and June 1-2, and 2:30 p.m. Sundays through June 5, in newly renovated Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown. $20. 843-527-2924 or www.swampfoxplayers.com.