No shortage of fests, special outings
▪ Dragon Boat Festival, for Ground Zero of Myrtle Beach, ministry to teens, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Grand Park, on Farrow Parkway, across from The Market Common. Free. 843-945-9440, ext. 203; or www.gzdragonboat.com.
▪ Car show for all models, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. between fireworks stores on southbound side of U.S. 17 in Little River. $25 registration; free to see. www.littleriverchamber.org.
▪ Awareness Walk on boardwalk, benefiting Rape Crisis Center of Horry and Georgetown counties, 9-11:30 a.m. at Sharkey’s, 600 N. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach (843-626-4411), with games and activities afterward. Registration requested at 843-448-3180.
▪ “World Tai Chi Day,” 9 a.m.-noon in Myrtle Beach’s Chapin Park, at Kings Highway and 16th Avenue North, outside Chapin Memorial Library. Free. Chapin Memorial Library. Free. 843-918-1281 or www.chapinlibrary.org.
▪ Camp Happy Hearts, free for children coping with loss, 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Christ United Methodist Church, 2901 Fantasy Way, in Fantasy Harbour, off U.S. 501, just west of Myrtle Beach. Register at 843-331-2212, or email email@example.com.
▪ National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at Pawleys Island Compounding Pharmacy at 9710 Ocean Hwy, Unit 2, Pawleys Island. Bring potentially dangerous expired, unused, and unwanted prescription drugs – for free and anonymous disposal. 843-235-3009 or www.picompounding.com/drugtakeback.php.
▪ Socastee Heritage Festival, for Socastee Heritage Foundation, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on Dick Pond Road, between S.C. 707 and Peachtree Road, by swing bridge. Free. 843-458-1461 or www.socasteehf.com. Also, car show, by Hot Rod Promotions, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., with $20 registration on site (843-503-8245).
▪ Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., outside Ripley’s Aquarium, at Broadway at the Beach, on 29th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach. Free. 843-742-9802 or www.myrtlebeachcarclub.com.
▪ Family event for Children’s Trust of South Carolina, noon-4 p.m. at Coastal Holistics, 2020 Oakheart Road, Carolina Forest, near new Publix, including Spider-Man and Supergirl appearances, prizes for dressing as a favorite superhero, children’s games, and massages for parents. Free. 843-796-1769.
▪ “Healthy Kids Day,” noon -4:30 p.m at Claire Chapin Epps Family YMCA, 5000 Claire Chapin Epps Drive, Myrtle Beach, opposite 62nd Avenue North. Free. 843-449-9622 or www.coastalcarolinaymca.org.
▪ “Saturday Oldies Music & Fun,” noon-5 p.m. – with music by Stringwood Duo – at La Belle Amie Vineyard, 1120 St. Joseph Road, Little River, just west of North Myrtle Beach Middle School. $3, or free with donation of two canned/dry good items for food bank. 843-399-9463 or labelleamie.com.
▪ “Lecture about former Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, with retired Air Force Col. Charles Thrash, 1 p.m. at Horry County Museum (open 9 a.m.-5 p.m.), 805 Main St., Conway. Free. 843-915-5320 or www.horrycountymuseum.org.
▪ Launch party for “Behind the Mask” novel by Dana Ridenour of Murrells Inlet, 3-5 p.m. at Wahoo’s Fish House, 3993 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. www.danaridenour.net.
▪ Tuscan-themed “Wine Fest,” 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Museum of Coastal Carolina, 21 E. Second St., Ocean Isle Beach. $50. 910-579-1016 or www.museumplanetarium.org.
▪ “Compassion through Fashion” artistic fashion show for Myrtle Beach-based New Directions of Horry County Inc.’s homeless shelters for men, women and families, 7-9 p.m.at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, 8400 Costa Verde Drive, Myrtle Beach. $25; or $50, including VIP reception 6-7 p.m. – from bit.ly/compassionthroughfashion.
Choose concert or play
▪ “Legally Blonde,” 2 and 7 p.m. Sarturday and 2 p.m. Sunday, at St. James High School, 10800 S.C. 707, Murrells Inlet, at Salem Road in Burgess community. $12 general, $10 seniors, $8 students. 843-650-5600 or www.sjhsdrama.com.
▪ “John Mueller’s ’50s Dance Party – The Official Tribute to Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper,” 7 p.m. at Alabama Theatre, at Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. $29.95, $35.95 or $40.95. 843-272-1111 or www.alabama-theatre.com.
▪ Act Two Productions’ “An Evening with Mark Twain,” 7:15 p.m. Saturday and 3:15 p.m. Sunday at Fresh Brewed Coffee House, 933 Broadway St., Myrtle Beach. $15. 843-995-2756.