Beach, Boogie and BBQ! One of my favorite Myrtle Beach festivals.
But even if you don’t have a taste for barbecue, there are lots of other free and cheap events taking place over the next few weeks. Here’s the list:
Friday and Saturday
▪ The annual Beach Boogie & BBQ Festival will take place on Friday and Saturday at the Horry-Georgetown Technical College Conference Center near Grand Park. Admission is free. This event includes a barbecue competition, live music, food and craft vendors, barbecue sampling (for a fee, while supplies last), kids’ activities, a beer and wine garden, a cornhole competition, a car show and more. The festival runs from 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday and from noon to 10 p.m. on Saturday.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ On Saturday, the Oceanfront Merchant’s Association is holding a Boardwalk Marketplace Arts and Crafts Show in Plyler Park from noon to 7 p.m. Admission is free. In addition to art and craft vendors, there will be bounce houses and other kids’ activities.
▪ La Belle Amie Vineyard at 1120 St. Joseph Road in Little River is hosting a “Labor Day Saturday Music & Cookout” event from noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday. Admission is $3, but if you bring three canned goods to be donated to local food banks, they’ll let you in free. There will be live music and food and drinks for purchase.
▪ To commemorate the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, Dead Dog Saloon in Murrells Inlet is holding its annual Local Heroes Benefit on Friday beginning at 10 a.m. Admission is free. This event includes live music, an All-American Buffet ($), auctions, raffles and 50/50 drawings. Proceeds will benefit local police and fire departments.
▪ The Professional Remodelers Council of the Horry Georgetown Home Builders Association is holding its annual Home Improvement and Outdoor Living Show beginning on Friday and running through Sunday at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center. Tickets are $5 for adults; free for kids ages 16 and under. There’s a $5 fee for parking. This event features more than 200 exhibitors who will be showcasing home improvement products and services. The show runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
▪ The Town of Surfside Beach is holding a Skyhoundz Disc Contest at 10 a.m. on Saturday at Martin Field. Admission is free for both spectators and participants. This event is being advertised as the “largest disc-dog competition series in the world.”
JULIE HENRY is a freelance writer, editor and project manager. She owns and operates Myrtle Beach on the Cheap: www.myrtlebeachonthecheap.com.