Special events abound
▪ Conway Downtown Alive’s “Beat the Heat Walking Tour” of downtown Conway, 8 a.m. $5. 248-6260 or www.conwayalive.com.
▪ “Healthy You Day,” by Georgetown Diabetes CORE (Community Outreach Resources & Education) Group and Georgetown County Recreation Department, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at East Bay Park, on Front Street on east end of Georgetown, with local jazz, soul and gospel groups performing, and arts-and-crafts vendors. Free. 520-1957, ext. 114; 520-1957; or www.georgetowncountydiabetes.com.
▪ Intracoastal Model Railroad Club train show, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday at Brunswick House, 382 Brunswick Drive., Calabash, N.C. From U.S. 17, turn into main entrance of Brunswick Plantation, and follow Middleton Drive to main clubhouse sign, then turn right. Free. 910-612-6559, or email email@example.com.
▪ Cruise-ins, both free, by Myrtle Beach Car Club (742-9802), 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Hwy 55 Burgers, Shakes & Fries, 1251 Frasier St., Georgetown; and Hot Rod Promotions (503-8245), 5-8 p.m. for “Cruising Aynor,” from Aynor Town Park, on Seventh Avenue.
▪ Premiere of locally produced film “Birth of a Nation: The Making of the Declaration of Independence,” 1 p.m. at Horry County Museum (open 9 a.m.-5 p.m.), 805 Main St., Conway. Free. 915-5320 or www.horrycountymuseum.org.
▪ “Woofstock,” by St. Frances Animal Center of Georgetown, 3 p.m. Saturday-3 p.m. Sunday, at PetSmart, 1530 U.S. 17 N., North Myrtle Beach, in 24-hour adoptathon with animals from local shelters, with 1960s music, a children’s area, demonstrations and giveaways. Free admission. 546-0780 or www.sfanimals.org.
▪ Social dance, with USA Dance Grand Strand Chapter 6024 (www.usadancegrandstrand.org), with music from Rosalie and Jack Drust, disc jockeys, 6:30-10 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, close to Horry-Georgetown Technical College, Grand Strand campus, and Farrow Parkway and The Market Common. $7 members, otherwise $9, and everyone’s asked to bring dish for community table. 570-881-0244, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Super Summer Lawn Chair Festival series, 7 p.m. with Impact Band at Homewood Baptist Church, 3290 Highway 319, Conway. Free. 685-0070, or email email@example.com.
▪ “Shrek the Musical Jr.” by Theatre of the Republic’s Coastal Youth Theatre, 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday, at Main Street Theatre, 335 Main St., Conway. $15 adults and $7 children. 488-0821 or www.theatreoftherepublic.com.
▪ EASY ESCAPE: “Battleship 101,” 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Battleship North Carolina, at U.S. Routes 17, 74, 76 and 421 in Wilmington, N.C. (Open 8 a.m.-8 p.m.). Free with admission (plus tax): $14 ages 12 and older; $10 ages 65 and older, and active-duty or retired military with ID; $6 ages 6-11; and free ages 5 and younger. 910-251-5797 or www.battleshipnc.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeachOnline.com/kicks.