First contest at Elvis fest
The Myrtle Beach Elvis Festival, sanctioned by Graceland, continues. Ticket details at 888-406-5885 or www.myrtlebeachelvisfestival.com, and more information from Legends in Concert, 238-7827 or www.legendsinconcert.com/myrtle-beach.
Details | Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest preliminary, opening round, 1-5 p.m. at Legends in Concert, 2925 Hollywood Drive, at U.S. 17 Bypass and 29th Avenue North, across from Broadway at the Beach; then a Legends performance at 8 p.m., and after-party 11 p.m. next door at Planet Hollywood.
Events on South Strand
▪ Strand Cinema weekend of movies, at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown, on Friday with “The Legend of Bagger Vance,” from 2000, at 2:30 p.m., and “Still Alice” (2014), 7 p.m.; and on Saturday: “What We Do in the Shadows” (2014), 2:30 p.m., and “Leviathan” (2014), 7 p.m. Each $5 for members, otherwise $7. 527-2924 or www.strandcinema.org.
▪ “Cool Summer Evenings,” at Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, open 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m., including Javier Vega Trio concert at 7 p.m. Admission lasts seven days: $15 ages 13-64, $13 ages 65 and older, and $7 ages 4-12, and free ages 3 and younger. 235-6000 or www.brookgreen.org.
Free concerts, movies
▪ “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1,” starring Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson, at 3 p.m. for adults, at Myrtle Beach Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, near Farrow Parkway and The Market Common. Details at 918-2380.
▪ Those Guys Rock in concert, 6:30 p.m. at Middleton Park Soccer Field, on Southeast 46th Street in Oak Island, N.C.; and “Big Hero 6” movie, at dusk at Garrison House in Southport, N.C., off Davis Street. 910-253-2031 or www.brunswickcountync.gov.
▪ “Movies at McLean” with “Planes: Fire and Rescue” 8:45 p.m., in North Myrtle Beach’s McLean Park, 93 Oak Drive, south of Main Street, between First and Second avenues South, also with North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue meet-and-greet. 280-5594, ext. 3, or parks.nmb.us/Page.aspx?news=true&id=6.
▪ “Movies Under the Stars,” with “Toy Story,” 8:45 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Valor Memorial Garden, on Farrow Parkway, at The Market Common. 839-3500 or www.marketcommonmb.com.
▪ Rob Snyder, 9 p.m. at The Boathouse Waterway Bar and Grill, 201 Fantasy Harbor Blvd., just west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501, next to Clarion Hotel. 903-2628 or boathousemb.com.
‘Monster Jam’ finale
Details | 7:30 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Speedway, 455 Hospitality Lane, off U.S. 501, near Tanger Outlets and Carolina Forest (236-0500 or www.myrtlebeachspeedway.com). $15 ages 13 and older, $10 ages 2-12, plus taxes and fees.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeachOnline.com/kicks.