Exhibit opens, Oscar winner plays, at CCU
Two special events at Coastal Carolina University, on the main campus, accessed from U.S. 501 or S.C. 544 in Conway, are free:
▪ Opening of Liz Miller mixed media exhibit, “Requisite Beguilement,” through March 31, in Rebecca Randall Bryan Art Gallery, in Edwards College, open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays – also on Thursday: lecture at 2 p.m. and reception 4:30-6:30 p.m. 843-349-6454 (call to arrange up-close parking for anyone with a disability or mobility matter) or www.coastal.edu/gallery, and www.lizmiller.com.
▪ War & Society Film Series, with “The Counterfeiters,” a 2008 Oscar winner, 5 p.m. in The Coastal Theater, Lib Jackson Studio Union A-110, also with discussion afterward with Gary Schmidt, professor, about Holocaust’s portrayal in film and literature. 843-349-2741, www.coastal.edu/culturalarts, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two special demonstration days at L.W. Paul farm
Two special events remembering old customs, are on tap this week: “Wash Day,” with clothes washing demonstrations from the early 20th century, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday; and cooking demos showing how shad fish, including the roe, was cleaned and fried, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday. Details at 843-365-3596 or www.horrycountymuseum.org.
Details: At Horry County Museum’s L.W. Paul Living History Farm, 2279 Harris Shortcut Road, at U.S. 701, north of Conway, open 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays, and free.
Mardi Gras celebrations include two parades
▪ Mardi Gras Parade, 5 p.m. from Dick’s Last Resort, at Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. 843-272-7794, 843-272-8349 or www.bflanding.com.
▪ “Marshi Gras on the MarshWalk,” on Murrells Inlet MarshWalk complex, on north end of U.S. 17 Business in Murrells Inlet, with “Costume Contest Parade,” 7 p.m. from Bovine’s (register on site, 5-6:35 p.m.) to The Wicked Tuna, with announcement of winners at 8:30 p.m. Also in parade: Grand Strand Blues Band, including Juke Joint Johnny from Charleston – known as “The Harmonica High Priest of the Southeast.” 843-497-3450 or www.marshwalk.com.
▪ Mardi Gras Party, with Grand Strand Blues Band, 9 p.m. at The Warehouse, 104 Laurel St., Conway. 843-248-3287.
Alligator Adventure, including hyenas, open daily
Alligator Adventure, also home to spotted hyenas, Chilean flamingos and other wildlife, is open 10 a.m.-4 p.m. daily. Details at 843-361-0789 or alligatoradventure.com.
Details: At Alligator Adventure, adjacent to Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. Plus tax: $22.99 ages 13-61, $20.99 ages 62 and older, $19.99 military (with ID), $16.99 ages 4-12, and free ages 3 and younger – and second-day-free pass available for return within seven days. Annual passes are $49.99 for adults and $37.99 children.
Shop book sale at North Myrtle Beach library
The Friends of the North Myrtle Beach Library have a continuous used-book sale, with all proceeds going toward activities and materials for special programs for adults, teens and children.. Details at 843-915-5281 or www.hcml.org.
Details: At Horry County Memorial Library North Myrtle Beach branch, 910 First Ave. S. – open 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Fridays, and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays.