‘Stand Down’ provides help for veterans
Third annual “Myrtle Beach Stand Down,” by various groups, welcomes all veterans – including homeless individuals who have served – with such services as food, shelter, clothing, health screenings, Department of Veterans Affairs and Social Security benefits counseling, and referrals to a variety of other service providers, for housing, employment and substance abuse treatment. Details at 843-235-1405 or 803-873-2266.
Details: 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at U.S. Army Reserve, 3392 Phillis Blvd., Myrtle Beach, beside The Market Common.
Various movies, performances, many for free
▪ “A Hologram for the King,” 1:30 p.m., in Myrtle Beach’s Chapin Memorial Library, 400 14th Ave. N., at Kings Highway. 843-918-1281 or www.chapinlibrary.org.
▪ “Mothers and Daughters,” 3 p.m., for adults (rated PG-13), in Myrtle Beach’s Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, near Pampas Drive and Horry-Georgetown Technical College Grand Strand campus. Free. 843-918-2380.
▪ “Spectrum Concert,” with various ensembles, 7 p.m. in Coastal Carolina University Wheelwright Auditorium, off U.S. 501 in Conway. $7. 843-349-2787 or www.coastal.edu/culturalarts.
▪ Paul Grimshaw Band, 7-11 p.m. on The Deck, at House of Blues, at Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. 843-272-3000 or www.hob.com/myrtlebeach.
▪ Cole Taylor, 9 p.m. at The Boathouse Waterway Bar & Grill, 201 Fantasy Harbor Blvd., along Intracoastal Waterway, just west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501, next to Clarion Hotel. 843-903-2628 or www.boathousemb.com.
▪ Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, 7:30 p.m. at Francis Marion University Performing Arts Center, 201 S. Dargan St., Florence. $45. 843-661-4444 or www.fmupac.org.
▪ Trapeze arts show by Down to Earth Aerials of Raleigh, 9 p.m. in Coastal Carolina University Wheelwright Auditorium, off U.S. 501 in Conway. Free with ticket from box office. 843-49-2787 or www.coastal.edu/culturalarts.
Join Strand Cinema for two shows daily
The Strand Cinema group begins a new weekend of movies, all from the past two years: “Testament of Youth” at 2:30 p.m. and “Love and Friendship” 7 p.m.; and on Saturday: “Love & Mercy” 2:30 p.m. and “Maggie’s Plan ” 7 p.m. Details at 843-527-2924 or www.strandcinema.org.
Details: At Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown; each $5 for members, otherwise $7.
Campground’s craft fair open to public
A 24th annual Craft Fair will be open to the public 4-7 p.m. Friday and noon-3 p.m. Saturday. Details at 843-238-5636 or www.oceanlakes.com.
Details: In recreation center at Ocean Lakes Family Campground, 6001 S. Kings Highway, at S.C. 544, a half-mile north of Surfside Beach. Free.