• Winter leagues | Winter league schedules are out, or will be shortly, so pick up one in the centers and sign up for the league of your choice.
• Mondays | The Grand Strand Seniors Men’s Golf Association plays a tournament every Monday at a different golf course on the Grand Strand. Any amateur male golfer over 50 is eligible. Snowbirds welcomed! Visit www.gssmga.org.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Aug. 18 | The Golfsters charity tournament to benefit the Special Kids Program, Man O’War Golf Club, 1 p.m. shotgun start, three-man captain’s choice scramble format. Entry fee of $75 per player and $225 per team includes a registration cocktail party and dinner on Aug. 17 at Danny Lee’s Place in Socastee featuring a reverse raffle, auction and open bar. Cash prizes are awarded to the top teams and a team through a random drawing. The Special Kids Program assists foster children in Horry and Georgetown counties, and the Golfsters also donates to deserving children and families. Contact Jack Stogner at 843-997-9805.
• Aug. 18 | The 9th Annual "Adopt A Tree Highway" Golf Tournament at Wachesaw Plantation East. Captains choice format with tourney flighted for Ladies, Mens, Senior and Super Senior. Cost is $60 per person; $240 per team. Continental Breakfast in the morning, lunch of steak and chicken from the Outback Steakhouse in Murrells Inlet. Hole in one contest for trip to Pebble Beach and putting contest for $2,500. Proceeds used to maintain 2 1/4 miles of Highway 17 Byapass, ALL Volunteer. More info call Lou @ 843-215-3753.
• Aug. 18 | The 22nd annual Beach Ball Classic Golf Tournament, Founder’s Club in Pawleys Island, four-person captain’s choice net score format, 9 a.m. shotgun start. Entry fee of $260 per team ($65 per player) includes prizes for top teams and contests, food and drinks. Proceeds benefit the Beach Ball Classic Scholarship Fund, which has awarded over $500,000 in college scholarships to more than 300 students since 1984. Hole sponsorships available. Contact Billy Hurston at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-457-1968.
• Aug. 23 | The Sun News Educational Foundation Tournament, Pine Lakes Country Club, 10a.m. shotgun start, 9 a.m. registration, two-person team captain's choice format. Entry fee of $110 per person includes continental breakfast, lunch and goody bag. Proceeds benefit The Sun News Educational Foundation, which provides college scholarships to area high school seniors. Contact Peggy Studds at 843-626-0250 or email@example.com or Diana Fromal at 843-626-0247 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Aug. 25 | Future Generations Tournament to benefit the First Tee of the Grand Strand, Myrtle Beach National Southcreek and West courses, captain’s choice format, 8 a.m. shotgun start. Team registrations only. Entry fee of $380 per foursome includes breakfast, barbecue lunch and cocktail hour with complimentary beer and wine. Prizes in mens, womens and couples divisions. Silent and live auction items include a Greenbrier Resort vacation. Hole-in-one prize is four Masters practice round tickets including hospitality tent access and limo service from Myrtle Beach. Register at www.tftgs-tour.org or visit www.TheFirstTeeTheGrandStrand.org. Prospective sponsors can call Harry Coombs at 843-333-1931.
• Sept. 15 | The 7th Annual Grand Strand ‘Walk to End Alzheimer’s tournament will be held on September 15 at the River Oaks Golf Plantation. Entry fee is $75 per person or $300 per team, which includes green fees & cart, continental breakfast, lunch and beverages. Prizes for: longest drive, closest to pin and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams, and tickets for additional prizes will be sold at registration. Funds raised will support the Alzheimer’s Association in efforts to raise awareness, education, support groups, respite assistance in South Carolina and support research into causes and potential cures. If you would like to participate in the golf tournament, interested in hole sponsorships or need more information, contact Kathy Milchman at 843-390-4001 or email at email@example.com or stop by River Oaks Golf Plantation and ask for Ron.
• Nov. 12-13 | DeBordieu Celebrity Pro-Am for Cystic Fibrosis, DeBordieu Club, Texas Scramble format in which the best drive of a fivesome is selected and each player completes the hole with his own ball from there. Handicaps counted. The Monday-Tuesday pro-am costs $1,000 per four-player team and includes banquets, food, beverages and a gift pack. A $2,000 team entry includes higher level gifts primarily from Adams Golf. A pro auction on Nov. 12 will determine each team’s fifth player. All proceeds benefit the SC chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Former PGA Tour member Jay Haas and Dillard Pruitt have committed to the event, as have area touring pros Sam Lyons, Michael Maness and Lauren Hunt. Visit dedordieuclub.com/golf or call 843-527-6000.
TO SUBMIT SCORES
• Please send your weekly scores and/or notes of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submissions is 3 p.m. Monday. Late submissions will be published the following week. Results appear in The Sun News each Thursday.
• Results must be submitted via e-mail to be included on our Scoreboard. No phone calls or faxes.
• Holes-in-one, eagles and shooting your age must be submitted by a representative from the course.