High School Football

Decision for surgery should serve Moody, Tigers well down the road

Conway quarterback Mykal Moody watched more than 80 percent of his team's games from the sideline this season.

And while the Tigers' year is over in terms of football, Moody may be all the stronger for the decision he, his family and coach Chuck Jordan made back in September.

The sophomore suffered a severely sprained ankle in the team's second game of the year. At first, it appeared he'd only miss a handful of weeks. Instead, the injury turned out to be much more serious, and doctors eventually inserted two metal screws into his ankle.

The surgery wasn't necessarily a must-do; however, Jordan said Moody's future would be worry-free with it.

"They assured me with this type of surgery, there wouldn't be any repercussions later," Jordan said.

Moody is scheduled to have the screws removed Dec. 1. It is not clear whether he'll be ready to play basketball this season. (He is a guard on the Tigers' varsity team.)

Come spring football practice, though, Moody should be ready to start earning back his job as the Conway starting quarterback.

The coach said he was not prepared to name Moody the de facto starter right away. But even Robert Nelson, who stood in for Moody all season, has said he expected to move back to receiver and defense once Moody was healthy.

Sumpter, ECU still a fit

It may have seemed unlikely with the type of season Myrtle Beach receiver Donte Sumpter is having, but East Carolina still seems like the odds-on favorite to get him on campus.

Sumpter, who has 68 receptions for 1,011 yards (14.9 average) and 12 touchdowns, committed to the Pirates earlier this year. Still, with Sumpter expected to have a great senior season - and more important, the player actually following through on it - many expected other schools to come calling eventually.

That's apparently not the case.

"They're the only ones looking at me, really," Sumpter said last week.

The 5-foot-11, 160-pound receiver is the lone player at that position committed to ECU at this time, according to Scout.com, although commitments for mid-sized Football Bowl Subdivision teams usually beef up around this time of year as some players realize they won't get scholarship offers or decent playing time at BCS conference schools.

Sumpter's numbers are solid, but they also could have been higher. Last week's Class AAA second-round playoff game against Cane Bay was a fine example.

In the game, Myrtle Beach sprinted out to a huge lead, in part due to Sumpter's 66 yards and touchdown. But after he made his fourth and final reception with about 11 minutes left in the third quarter, he and several other starters were just about done for the night. It's been that way for much of the season, as the Seahawks have not had a game decided by single digits since Sept. 17.

Still, whether Sumpter sticks with East Carolina on signing day or not, he and the rest of the NCAA Division-I talent on the Myrtle Beach roster will continue to benefit by the continued exposure of playoff football.

If the Seahawks make it to Columbia for the state title game again, don't be shocked to start hearing about several other names on the Myrtle Beach roster getting college offers.

Brantley spreading word

Conway and running back Chris Brantley's season is over, courtesy of the first-round playoff loss to Goose Creek last Friday.

But Brantley said he's only just getting started on much of the work to get his name out there.

The Tigers tailback said he has received interest from a number of Big South and Southern Conference schools, including The Citadel, Charleston Southern and Wofford. Jordan said that he's already in line to be a full qualifier, but Brantley said he'll spend the time between now and February's National Signing Day continuing to improve his test scores in order to improve his stock.

"I'll do whatever it takes [to keep playing]," Brantley said.

Several other Conway players are receiving interest from NCAA Division II, Division III or junior college programs.

Mr. Football finalists

Despite appearing in just four games this season, Myrtle Beach senior quarterback Everett Golson was one of seven finalists for the South Carolina Mr. Football award, it was announced Monday.

Golson, who has had one the best prep careers in state history, injured his wrist and foot in the Seahawks' second game of the season and did not return until the first week of the playoffs. In his limited action, Golson has thrown for 932 yards and 13 touchdowns with one interception while completing 70.4 percent of his passes. He has also rushed for two touchdowns.

The other six finalists are: Greenwood linebacker Quinn Backus, South Pointe defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, Summerville running back De-Angelo Henderson, James Island quarterback Bo Patterson, Dorman wide receiver Charone Peake and Goose Creek offensive lineman Brandon Shell.

  Comments