High School Football

Byrnes capitalizes on TD with :24 left to edge Myrtle Beach; Everett Golson hurt

Friday night's rematch between Byrnes and Myrtle Beach was much closer than last year's meeting, although it appeared to be over at halftime for the Seahawks.

Myrtle Beach standout quarterback Everett Golson suffered an ankle injury in the first half and did not return, but that didn't stop the Seahawks from battling the Rebels to the final seconds.

Byrnes quarterback Zach Blair hit Evan Suddeth for a 36-yard touchdown pass with 24 seconds remaining for a 21-14 victory.

It was a bitter ending for an otherwise courageous comeback by the Seahawks (1-1), who committed two personal foul penalties on the final drive to aid the Rebels' win.

Myrtle Beach had Byrnes pinned on its own 13-yard line with just more than a minute remaining, but gave up 30 yards of field position to set up the Rebels' game-winning touchdown.

It spoiled an outstanding matchup at a sold-out Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium that was a far cry from last year's 65-14 blowout victory by the Rebels, especially considering the loss of Seahawks' leader.

Trailing 7-0 in the final seconds of the second quarter, Golson was sacked for a big loss and injured his ankle on the second to last play of the first half. Backup quarterback Mitch Campbell was called into action on fouth-and-goal and his first pass of the game was intercepted and nearly returned for a touchdown before he made the saving tackle.

Despite trailing by only a touchdown, things looked dim for the Seahawks as Golson did not return from the locker room for the second half. There was no immediate word on the severity of the injury.

Campbell made up for his mistake after Myrtle Beach Alex Holoman intercepted Blair for the third time of the night and returned it deep into Byrnes territory. Campbell hit Dallas Goodman on a fade pattern in the end zone from 13 yards out to tie the game at 7.

Byrnes running back Shakeem Wharton scored on an 8-yard run in the fourth quarter for the lead, but the Seahawks rallied to tie it on a 16-yard touchdown run by Daiquone Ford with just more than five minutes left.

Related stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News