The impending threat of Tropical Storm Hanna has wreaked havoc on this week's prep sports schedule and is threatening to do the same for Coastal Carolina.
The storm forced major changes to Friday's high school football slate. One game, Andrews-Georgetown, has been moved to tonight; seven others will be played Thursday; and Wando-Conway may be played on Monday.
There is also a chance this weekend's football game between Coastal Carolina and Colgate may change dates. As of Tuesday night, the game was still scheduled for 7 p.m. Saturday at Brooks Stadium.
Coastal Carolina Athletic Director Warren Koegel said a final determination will be made today. The decision lies with Colgate, since the team has to make travel arrangements. Coastal coach David Bennett preferred to move the game up to Thursday but Colgate declined.
If Hanna continues on its projected path, Bennett said Coastal will likely play Saturday or move the game to 1 p.m. Sunday. Monday is also a possibility.
High schools began changing their schedules Tuesday morning. Two football games were initially moved to tonight, but the Charleston County School District decided later that its schools could not play today. That leaves Conway hoping to play its home game against Wando next Monday.
``Hopefully we'll be able to reschedule,'' Conway coach Chuck Jordan said. ``We'll have some mushy conditions on Monday, but hopefully we will play. My intentions are to play and I think his intentions are to play, too.''
The only football game tonight is Andrews at Georgetown, a cross county battle that will be played at 6 p.m. Andrews player Thomas Lance said the midweek slot won't impact the emotion on the field.
``Everybody at school was surprised,'' Lance said of the change. ``We went over our [gameplan] in practice and put everything in. It's a rivalry, so we are ready to play.
``It has a big effect,'' he said of the short notice. ``You have to get ready earlier. Your minds have to get focused. Everybody was focused on a Friday show. Now it's a big Wednesday show.''
The rest of Friday's slate has been moved to 7 or 7:30 p.m. on Thursday. However, there is some concern among school officials that those games may not be played if any type of evacuation is ordered.
Most of the area's schools have cancelled all their other sporting events on Thursday and Friday, although some have decided to take a wait-and-see approach to see what the impact of the storm will actually be.