MBFR: Illegal fireworks possible cause of weekend apartment building fire

An apartment complex structure fire authorities responded to on Sunday was likely caused by illegal fireworks, according to a Facebook posting by officials with the Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue.

MBFR firefighters were called to the blaze at 8:03 a.m. Sunday to an apartment complex on the 600 block of Mr. Joe White Avenue, authorities said.

Firefighters saw smoke and flames showing from the outside of a multi-story apartment building when they got there, and all occupants were out when upon arrival.

According to the MBFR Facebook posting, rescue crews quickly extinguished the fire.

A patrolling Myrtle Beach police officer said he saw “heavy black/gray smoke coming from the attic vent area” of the building, called firefighters, and began evacuating residents in three apartment units, according to a police report. The officer also noted seeing visible flames in the gutter area of the roof.

Fire investigators later asked the officer for a copy of video footage from the officer’s body camera obtained during the evacuation process.

The American Red Cross is responding to aid relocated occupants.

Officials with the MBFR said in a Facebook posting on Monday that this fire was possibly caused by fireworks and reminded the public that the use and sell of consumer fireworks is illegal within Myrtle Beach city limits.

MBFR officials said the structure fire was one of 182 calls for emergency service that they received over the weekend.

Contact ELIZABETH TOWNSEND at 626-0217 or on Twitter @TSN_etownsend.