115 mph police chase ends with downed pole, power outage and a pair of arrests

A suspect fled the scene after striking a utility pole on S.C. 544 following an early morning police chase, according to officials.

Christopher Brandon Michael, 19, of Powder Springs, Ga., was arrested and charged with possession of a stolen vehicle. A 14-year-old white male was also arrested.

According to Horry County police, the car was reported “stolen” out of Cobb County, Ga.

The incident started in the Conway section of Horry County, with police observing a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed on U.S. Highway 501. Despite the activation of blue lights and sirens by a local officer, Michael – the man alleged to be behind the wheel – failed to pull over.

“The suspect turned into the Tanger Outlet strip mall and drove through the parking lot,” the Horry County police report states.

Michael then turned eastbound on U.S. 501 before moving the pursuit to S.C. 31, accelerating to a speed of 115 mph. He then attempted to exit at S.C. 544, losing control of the vehicle and striking a light pole.

As a result of the wreck, 800 Horry Electric Cooperative customers spent much the early portion of Tuesday morning in the dark. The road was closed for hours overnight as crews worked to replace the pole and restore power.

Michael and the 14-year-old passenger fled the vehicle after the crash, and were later arrested following a brief foot chase.

“Shortly after exiting our vehicles and beginning to walk through the neighborhood on Cedar Lane, I observed both arrestees exit a backyard and start across the roadway,” an Horry County police report states. “I yelled out for the arrestees to come to me, at which time both fled around the house at the end of the roadway and into the wood line.

“After a short foot pursit both arrestees were detained, read their Miranda Rights and questioned about suspicious activity.”

After being read his rights, Michael admitted to being the driver of the vehicle in the high-speed pursuit. He and his 14-year-old passenger were taken to Conway Medical Center and treated for their injuries.