Man injured in Myrtle Beach officer-involved shooting dies

Myrtle Beach Chief of Police Amy Prock addresses officer involved shooting

Prock details the events that took place while informing Myrtle Beach residents on the current investigation.
Up Next
Prock details the events that took place while informing Myrtle Beach residents on the current investigation.

A 31-year-old North Carolina man died in the hospital Friday night after being wounded in an officer-involved shooting with Myrtle Beach police on Sept. 3, according to an update from the Horry County Coroner’s Office.

Jarvis Hayes of Greensboro, N.C. was injured by Myrtle Beach police in a shooting near an Ocean Boulevard-area motel, then died in the hospital about 7:21 p.m. Friday, according to Darris Fowler, deputy coroner with Horry County Coroner’s Office, who stated an autopsy revealed that Hayes died from multiple trauma after being shot.

Officers initially received a call about 11:30 p.m. Sept. 3, getting reports on that a security officer was nearly struck by a motorist, Capt. Joey Crosby, spokesman with Myrtle Beach police previously said.

Police arrived in the area of the Mystic Sea Motel at the corner of 21st Avenue South and Ocean Boulevard and discovered what appeared to be a vehicle and driver involved in an incident, Crosby said.

“As officers attempted to make contact with the driver, the driver maneuvered their vehicle towards officers and struck one of our officers,” Myrtle Beach Police Chief Amy Prock said in a video released on the department’s Facebook page Sept. 5. “At that time, due to the subject’s actions, officers discharged their firearms. Officers immediately rendered aid and the subject was transported to the hospital.”

PFC Justin Lieberth and Patrolman Drew Fox were named as the officers involved in the incident, according to Crosby, who said they were placed on administrative duty pending the completion of the investigation as per protocol.

“It is normal when an incident occurs like this that people question the safety in the city, but I am here to tell you that thankfully, although this is an unfortunate incident and (a) random and rare incident in the city, officers were presented with an emergency situation,” Prock said. “They acted swiftly in a manner to protect themselves and the citizens that were in that area.”

Prock also stated that no officer wants to harm anyone, but as protectors of the peace, sometimes they must make life-and-death decisions.

“Our prayers go out to all that were involved in this incident to include the offender, the offender’s family, our officers, the witnesses, all those that were touched by this incident,” she said.

SLED took the reigns on looking into the incident, which is standard procedure when an officer-involved shooting happens, and it remains under investigation.

Related stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News