Man charged with attempted murder in Myrtle Beach area shooting at gentleman’s club

A Myrtle Beach man is charged with attempted murder in connection with a shooting at a gentleman’s club, according to authorities.

Police booked Gerard Antonio Watts, 30, of Myrtle Beach into J. Reuben Long Detention Center at 4:41 p.m. Wednesday on charges of attempted murder, unlawful possession of a pistol and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, according to jail records. He is being held pending a bail hearing.

The charges are linked to a shooting that occurred about 3:20 a.m. Saturday at Club Crush located at 4803 U.S. 17 Bypass, Horry County police Sgt. Robert Kegler said.

Horry County police were called after a security guard shot a man following gunshots being fired inside the club, according to the report. The guard told officers he was outside, heard the door to the club open and then he heard gunshots, before people began running out.

The guard said he saw a man shoot a handgun toward part of the crowd, so he pulled his gun out and ordered the man to stop and drop the gun, according to the report. The guard said when the gunman turned and pointed the gun at him, he fired seven shots at the armed man.

As the shooter man fell to the ground, the guard told police, it appeared he threw something into a ditch, according to the report. Soon after the confrontation, a pickup truck drove up with several men inside who put the wounded man in the back and searched the ditch before they sped away.

The truck carrying the wounded man went to South Strand Medical Center, where they were told they needed to go to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center for treatment, which they did, according to the report.

That shooting and another one that occurred roughly 40 minutes later, about a mile away, in the 2600 block of U.S. 17 Bypass, prompted Grand Strand Regional Medical Center officials to lock down the emergency room’s lobby after a man there became disruptive.

Police detained 23-year-old Swava Lamere McCrea at the hospital in connection with the lock down after he refused to calm down and repeatedly punched a hospital sign, while his friend was being treated for a gunshot wound, according to a Myrtle Beach police report.

After someone reported that McCrea had a weapon, an officer followed him outside the hospital and detained McCrea after watching him confront another man about being the person who shot his friend, according to police. When officers searched McCrea at Myrtle Beach Jail they found a bottle with cocaine inside in his possession, according to the incident report. He was charged with possession of cocaine.

In the second shooting incident, Horry County police were called around 4 a.m. Saturday to the Red Barn Tavern, 2635 U.S. 17 Bypass.

Officers learned that the victim in that incident, who was not identified in the report, was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center by his friends, according to the report.

Details about that incident were not included in the incident report, but officers said they found a revolver next to two small puddles of blood and two slugs in the south side of the parking lot at the scene. In another area of the parking lot, officers found four shell casings and a vehicle that had two bullet holes in the passenger side and one hole in the bumper, according to the report.

Officers photographed the scene and detectives arrived to investigate the shooting.