Fatal Conway motorcycle wreck caps dangerous few days on Horry County roads

A Conway man was killed Saturday morning while riding a motorcycle, one of a number of serious crashes for the area since Thursday night.

The crash happened shortly before 11:15 a.m. at 3462 S.C. 905, near Gold Hill Road, northeast of Conway, according to information on the South Carolina Highway Patrol’s website. Eugene Necochea died from trauma he suffered in the collision, said Horry County Deputy Coroner Darris Fowler

Fowler said it took some time to track down the victim’s next of kin, but after talking to Necochea’s brother and girlfriend, he was finally able to reach one of the victim’s adult children who lives in Texas.

Fowler said Necochea was wearing a helmet, but didn’t have any other details regarding the crash.

Calls to the S.C. Highway Patrol weren’t returned before press time and no information was posted on the patrol’s media line.

Saturday morning’s crash was the latest in what turned into a dangerous couple of days on Horry County roads.

On Thursday night, a 19-year-old Conway man died in a single-vehicle crash.

Matthew Carl Hucks, who would have turned 20 on Monday, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash Thursday night from blunt force trauma, Horry County Deputy Coroner Tony Hendrick said.

Hucks was driving a 1999 Chevrolet Sport Utility Vehicle west on Knotty Branch Road, which is north of Conway, about 9:30 p.m. Thursday when he ran off the road, said Lance Cpl. Judd Jones with the Highway Patrol.

On Friday afternoon, there were three wrecks in Myrtle Beach’s back gate area, near U.S. 17 and Farrow Parkway. Another wreck shut down northbound lanes of U.S. 501 in Carolina Forest around lunchtime, snarling traffic. All of them resulted in injuries.

In one of the back gate wrecks, a blue SUV overturned at the U.S. 17/Farrow Parkway intersection, causing traffic to back up for miles in both directions as workers headed home Friday evening.

Specific details of the Friday crashes were not available Saturday, but Fowler did say there were no fatalities.