Update| Juror in Andrews murder case excused

Update: A juror in the Andrews was excused this afternoon.

The juror told the court after he returned from lunch, he recognized a co-worker in the audience. The co-worker had the same last name as one of witnesses, who was the victim's brother.

Senior Attorney Ron Hazzard, with the public defender's office, asked to seat an alternate in the jury.

Update: Closing argument have ended. Circuit Judge Ben Culbertson is currently giving the jury instructions for deliberations.

GEORGETOWN--The man accused of fatally shooting a 22-year-old man in Andrews in 2008 spoke before a jury this morning.

Dominic Leggette has been charged with murder and assault and battery with intent to kill in the shooting death of Antonio Tisdale and injury to Al Ingram.

Leggette told jurors he feared for his life. Leggette and Ingram, who are from rival neighborhoods, had previous confrontations, he said.

On Aug. 13, 2008, Leggette said he went to Cornelle's nightclub in order to give his girlfriend a phone charger. He knew that there were people from Ingram's neighborhood hanging out at Blue's nightclub, which is in the same area as Cornelle's.

The shooting happened about 10:40 p.m. that night, near the corner of Farr and Main streets in Andrews. Tisdale was pronounced dead about an hour later at Georgetown Memorial Hospital, according to authorities.

Leggette said he was wary and bought a gun for his own safety.

"I had a feeling something bad was going to happen," Leggette said.

When he got there, Leggette said he was confronted by two men, and there were a group of others behind them.

"I was scared cause it was more than one person," Leggette said. "I already knew I was going to get jumped."

He explained to jurors that it was a way of life in a small town like Andrews, where the group from Jones Avenue and those from the Uptown area frequently got into lynchings or mob fights.

Leggette said he backed away and called his cousin to pick him up at the Superchic convenience store.

"In the course of me walking off, I heard somebody coming behind me," Leggette said. "I heard somebody say, 'What’s up now?'"

Leggette said he saw Ingram.

"He was reaching for something. I was already scared and I didn’t know what to do," Leggette said. "He was known for carrying a gun. I thought he was carrying a gun. I proceeded to shoot two or three times. I took the back alley, and I ran off."

Leggette was a fugitive for about a month before turning himself in to the U.S. Marshal's Service.

He told jurors that he did initially lie to police and told them he had not been at the scene the night Tisdale was shot.

Closing statements are expected to begin after 2 p.m.