Local

AC unit to blame for third-story hotel room fire

Myrtle Beach Fire Department responds to hotel fire on the 400 block of North Ocean Blvd. Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017.
Myrtle Beach Fire Department responds to hotel fire on the 400 block of North Ocean Blvd. Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017.

A fire sparked by an AC unit at an Ocean Boulevard hotel and was quickly extinguished by Myrtle Beach Fire Department crews Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters responded about 12:13 p.m. to a hotel at 411 North Ocean Boulevard for a structure fire with smoke billowing from the building, according to Lt. Jonathan Evans, spokesman with MBFD.

When crews arrived, they found smoke coming from a third-story hotel room, Evans said. Firefighters determined a faulty AC unit was the issue and quickly knocked the fire out.

There were no occupants inside the hotel when the blaze was broke out. Crews did a thorough check of the hotel, and found the fire didn’t extend beyond the unit.

Crews remained on scene working to ensure the issue was completely resolved.

Elizabeth Townsend: 843-626-0217, @TSN_etownsend

  Comments